Canadian priest killed in Haiti
Haitian detectives are investigating the killing of a Canadian priest who was shot to death Thursday as he left a bank in the Caribbean nation's capital Port-au-Prince, authorities said.
Police Insp. Aladin Jean-Louis said that 62-year-old Richard E. Joyal had just withdrawn $1,000 from a bank about 10:30 a.m. when two men on a motorcycle approached and grabbed a bag he was carrying. The passenger shot him three times in the back.
Authorities later found the $1,000 in Joyal's wallet and confiscated the money. The contents of Joyal's billfold included a driver's licence showing he was from Quebec, but CBC News has confirmed Joyal was originally from Manitoba.
Another identification card showed he was a priest who worked as an administrator for a Canadian congregation in the Delmas district of Port-au-Prince.
Police investigating the shooting in Delmas redirected traffic on one of the busiest thoroughfares in the capital.
The United States in December sharpened its travel warning to Haiti, citing kidnappings and other crime, cholera and a tattered infrastructure. Canada followed with a similar advisory.
- Malaysia Airlines jet mystery: 'plane door' not recovered
- Canadian Screen Awards 2014: Orphan Black, Gabrielle win
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un gets 100% of 'yes' votes in election
- 'West is best' on job creation, economists agree
- Lake Louise avalanche victims didn't have proper gear
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- 2 more Lev Tahor members apprehended at Calgary airport
- Ali Moustafa, Toronto-born journalist, killed in Syria
- 'Dead' Mexican capo Nazario Moreno Gonzalez killed in shootout
- Psychiatric community care: Belgian town sets gold standard
A Toronto photojournalist has been killed in Syria.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:22, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 12 hrs ago 1:55
Tooltip Information:RAW: Black bear determined to have a snackVideo by:Description: Outfitter Pat Garrett shot this video of a black bear back in May 2013 - but it is only now going viral.Rating: 3.71Views: 30911
Date 14-03-08 3:32
Tooltip Information:Stolen passports may be on planeVideo by:Description: There is mystery surrounding the identity of two passengers on the Malaysia Airlines flight, who may have been travelling on stolen passportsRating: 2.83Views: 9531
Date 14-03-08 2:14
Tooltip Information:2 Canadians on board missing planeVideo by:Description: We are learning more about two Canadians who are among the missing on the Malaysian airlines flight, Aarti Pole reportsRating: 4Views: 10031