Actor Tatiana Maslany on the red carpet at the Canadian Screen Awards in Toronto on Sunday March 9, 2014. Fred Thornhill/Canadian Press
Canada's movie and TV industries are in the spotlight tonight at the annual Canadian Screen Awards gala in Toronto.
The star-studded celebration is the climax of a week honouring the year's best in film, television and digital programming. The CSAs combine the previously separate Genie and Gemini Awards.
Martin Short returns for a second consecutive year as the evening's emcee at the Sony Centre for the Arts in downtown Toronto.
Fan picks were honoured right off the top — before the actual ceremony — with Lost Girl named Fan's Choice Favourite TV Show or Film, and the supernatural crime drama's Zoie Palmer named Fan's Choice Screen Star during the red carpet proceedings.
Categories to be presented tonight include best film, comedy series, drama series and news anchor, while famous figures presenting trophies during the broadcast include Viggo Mortensen, Jason Priestley, Jessica Paré and Serena Ryder.
The televised ceremony will also include a special tribute to filmmaker David Cronenberg, who will receive a lifetime achievement award.
Action-adventure film The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones — based on bestselling young adult novel series by Cassandra Clare — was among the big winners during a non-televised gala this afternoon, when awards were presented in nearly two dozen categories.
Previously announced as the winner of the Golden Reel Award (the homegrown film with the biggest Canadian box office, after grossing more than $5.2 million in Canada), The Mortal Instruments received further kudos for its visual effects, make-up, overall sound and sound editing.
Denis Villeneuve's drama Enemy also picked up several trophies for its cinematography, editing and for the thriller's original score. Meanwhile, the noted Edward Burtynsky and Jennifer Baichwal doc Watermark earned the Ted Rogers best feature length length documentary prize.
Other winners during the non-televised gala included:
- Art direction/production design: Louis Cyr: The Strongest Man in the World.
- Animated short:Subconscious Password.
- Live action short:Noah.
- Costume design:Louis Cyr: The Strongest Man in the World.
- Actor in a continuing leading dramatic role: Hugh Dillon, Flashpoint - Fit for Duty.
- Actor in a leading role in a dramatic program or miniseries: Rick Roberts, Jack.
- Host in a variety, lifestyle, reality/competition, performing arts or talk program/series: Michael Bublé, The 2013 Juno Awards.
- Music - original song: It's No Mistake (from The Right Kind of Wrong), by Serena Ryder and Jimmy Harry.
- Short documentary: Chi.
- Original screenplay:Empire of Dirt.
- Adapted screenplay: The F-Word.
- Claude Jutra Award: Emanuel Hoss-Desmarais
Dozens of awards were also distributed earlier during two mid-week ceremonies.
As he pinned his opponent down and punched him repeatedly in the head, Yao "The Master" Honggang was -- like other emerging Chinese mixed martial arts ... More As he pinned his opponent down and punched him repeatedly in the head, Yao "The Master" Honggang was -- like other emerging Chinese mixed martial arts fighters -- beating his way out of rural poverty. Duration: 02:21
Date 37 mins ago, Duration 2:20, Views 0