Canadians remain in Egypt jail as prosecutor no-shows
Two Canadian men remain behind bars in Egypt with their fate still up in the air.
Lawyers representing Tarek Loubani and John Greyson were hoping to meet today with a Cairo prosecutor to plead their case for release.
But the prosecutor failed to show up, and the lawyers were forced to leave the prison where the men are being held as a night-time curfew was approaching.
There is no word on whether a meeting with the prosecutor can be rescheduled, and supporters of the men say they don't know whether a detention order against them will be lifted.
Loubani, a doctor from London, Ont., Greyson, who is a Toronto filmmaker and university professor were detained Aug. 16 amid deadly riots in the Egyptian capital.
They were in Cairo trying to make their way to Gaza where Loubani was to teach emergency room medicine and Greyson was considering producing a documentary.
- Firefighters injured battling Mississauga industrial warehouse blaze
- Ron MacLean in hotseat over comment about Quebec refs
- Calgary stabbing victim Lawrence Hong to be remembered
- Google Street View lets you go back in time
- Lisa Raitt to enhance rail safety measures in wake of Lac-Mégantic
- The Koch brothers: Who are they and why do Democrats hate them?
- Everest avalanche: How a Sherpa strike will affect Nepal's tourist industry
- Travel insurance and extreme sports: How Canadians can protect themselves
- 'Fairies' billboard backfires for St. John's opera company
- Netflix set to 'grow like crazy' despite price increase
Tampa Bay were swept out of the first round of playoffs by Montreal
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:58, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 1:08
Tooltip Information:Ron MacLean on Quebec refsVideo by:Description: Hockey Night In Canada commentator Ron MacLean found himself in hot water Tuesday night after comments about the impartiality of French-Canadian referees assigned to Montreal Canadiens playoff games.Rating: 4Views: 1004
Date 14-04-21 2:23
Tooltip Information:Waitresses lose jobs to foreign workersVideo by:Description: 2 servers say they were let go after working for years at a restaurant in SaskatchewanRating: 3.01Views: 41053
Date 2 hrs ago 1:56
Tooltip Information:Ron MacLean's apology on Quebec refsVideo by:Description: Hockey Night In Canada commentator tries to extricate himself from hot water after comments about the impartiality of French-Canadian referees assigned to Montreal Canadiens playoff gamesRating: 4Views: 0