cbc.ca (© Copyright: (C) Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, http://www.cbc.ca/aboutcbc/discover/termsofuse.html#Rss)
Updated: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 09:57:30 GMT | By CBC News, cbc.ca

Carbon monoxide levels back to normal at Saint-Eustache daycare



Staff and children are recovering after a carbon monoxide leak forced them to evacuate the Garderies Les Petits Explorateurs in Saint-Eustache, Que. on Tuesday. CBC

Staff and children are recovering after a carbon monoxide leak forced them to evacuate the Garderies Les Petits Explorateurs in Saint-Eustache, Que. on Tuesday. CBC

The air is back to normal in a Saint-Eustache, Que., daycare, after a carbon monoxide leak forced the building to be evacuated on Tuesday, firefighters have confirmed.

Saint-Eustache fire chief Charles de Rouville said the fire department suspects a machine used to polish the daycare floors may have malfunctioned, causing the leak that forced 73 children and about a dozen adults from the Garderies Les PetitsExplorateurs. 

As a preventive measure, three children spent the night at the Ste-Justine hospital. They are expected to be released Wednesday.

The daycare remained closed on Wednesday, and a janitor told CBC's Sophie Tremblay he expects it should reopen Thursday. 

No carbon monoxide detector installed

As daycare staff and children recover from their ordeal, some are questioning why a carbon monoxide detector was not installed in the building.

Quebec's construction and safety code does not currently require carbon monoxide detectors to be installed in daycares, since they are not considered places where people sleep. 

Two years ago, the Quebec Fire Chiefs Association called on the province's building authority to make carbon monoxide detectors mandatory, after a leak in the Beauce region put an entire family in hospital.

According to a toxicologist at the University of Montreal, any homes or buildings that use natural gas or propane should have a detector.

“Every home or every building should have these detectors, especially if there is combustion going on, like propane gas being used or butane or natural gases,” Sami Haddad said.

But Haddad added what happened in Saint-Eustache appears to be a fluke, since the building doesn't use gas for heating or cooking.

“That’s probably an unusual happening,” he said.

more video