Cargo vessel runs aground off Rose Blanche
The John 1 cargo vessel ran aground just outside Rose Blanche on Saturday afternoon. Photo courtesy Mary Hardy
A cargo vessel off the southwest coast of Newfoundland ran aground at around 1:30 p.m. on Saturday.
According to the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Halifax, N.S., the 180-metre bulk carrier John 1 ran aground about 1.6 kilometres from Rose Blanche.
A Cormorant helicopter was dispatched from 103 Squadron in Gander to remove the 23 people aboard the ship.
All 23 were taken off the John 1, and were being taken to Burgeo just after 4 p.m.
No injuries were reported.
Marine Atlantic commercial ferry crossings in the area were cancelled earlier on Saturday due to high winds.
- Gaza crisis: Violence continues despite Egyptian call for ceasefire
- Tina Fontaine’s family holds funeral for slain teen
- Iceland volcano: Bardarbunga eruption begins
- Lev Tahor, ultra-Orthodox Jewish sect, quietly moves to Guatemala
- Indian status: 5 things you need to know
- Saskatchewan considered separation, Roy Romanow reveals
- ISIS atrocities in Iraq: What's Canada's next move?
- Kevin Love trade: Andrew Wiggins rare No. 1 pick
- Wynne slams Harper over missing, murdered aboriginal women comments
- Russian aid convoy leaves Ukraine
Muhammad Robert Heft has counselled many young Canadians 'at risk' of being recruited by international militant groups such as ISIS
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 5:20, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-22 2:12
Tooltip Information:Hiker rescued days after fleeing bear in treeVideo by:Description: Julien Landry in stable condition in a Kelowna, B.C., hospital after concussion, injured and alone in the forest after a wild encounterRating: 3.18Views: 23711
Date 4 hrs ago 1:50
Tooltip Information:Lotus restaurant fined for food poisoningVideo by:Description: Ottawa Public Health fined a Barrhaven Chinese restaurant after 44 people got sick from food.Rating: 4Views: 608