Chilean man under Pinochet regime breaks silence after 40 years
Tomas Urbina with his father Francisco, in Santiago's National Stadium in Chile. CBC
For Chileans living under the military rule of Augusto Pinochet, silence was golden.
The 40th anniversary of the coup that toppled Salvador Allende in 1973 seems to have broken the silence. Forty years is a milestone that seems to have allowed wounds to become scars and people to open up and tell their stories.
One of those people who lived under Pinochet’s regime of censorship finally told his harrowing story to his son in the documentary Black Box on The Sunday Edition with Michael Enright.
CBC’s Tomas Urbina spoke to his father Francisco in his native Chile.
Tomas knew virtually nothing about his father’s struggles, nor those of his people. He always sidestepped the issue and was told not to ask. For the first time the two sat together and shared the story.
Listen to Tomas Urbina's documentary Black Box.
- Canadian fighter jets intercept Russian bombers in Arctic
- Jean Chrétien gave U.K. government advice ahead of Scotland referendum
- Hurricane Odile: WestJet offers final evacuation flight to Calgary
- Why chimps kill other chimps — U.S. study uncovers main reason
- After the Scotland referendum: What happens next
- Don Frigo shooting death: Canada-wide warrant issued for Boris Panovski
- Ukrainian peace talks lead to buffer zone deal
- White House evacuated after man jumps fence, rushes executive mansion
- B.C. teachers' strike: No extension to school year to make up for lost time
- Netflix tells CRTC consumers should vote with their dollars
Classes will start Monday and Tuesday across the province, but the three weeks lost won't be made up
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 2:36, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.63Views: 67889
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 3Views: 37951
Date 22 hrs ago 1:16
Tooltip Information:Cat escapes from collapsing wreckage of Dauphin hotel (Video by David Katcsma)Video by:Description: David Katcsma of Dauphin, Man., captured this video of a cat running out of the Towers Hotel as the burning building collapsed to the groundRating: 4.42Views: 4792