Chilean man under Pinochet regime breaks silence after 40 years
Tomas Urbina with his father Francisco, in Santiago's National Stadium in Chile. CBC
For Chileans living under the military rule of Augusto Pinochet, silence was golden.
The 40th anniversary of the coup that toppled Salvador Allende in 1973 seems to have broken the silence. Forty years is a milestone that seems to have allowed wounds to become scars and people to open up and tell their stories.
One of those people who lived under Pinochet’s regime of censorship finally told his harrowing story to his son in the documentary Black Box on The Sunday Edition with Michael Enright.
CBC’s Tomas Urbina spoke to his father Francisco in his native Chile.
Tomas knew virtually nothing about his father’s struggles, nor those of his people. He always sidestepped the issue and was told not to ask. For the first time the two sat together and shared the story.
Listen to Tomas Urbina's documentary Black Box.
- Ahmad Waseem, jihadi in Syria, ignored family's pleas to stay in Canada
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Michael Bociurkiw talks about being first at the crash site
- Gaza conflict: Palestinian rocket misfire hit Al-Shifa Hospital, Israel says
- Stoney Nakoda First Nation signs 'huge' oil deal with Chinese firm
- Calgary stabbings: Brentwood house now up for sale
- Judge rules against Donald Sterling, OK's sale of Clippers
- EU trade deal troubles denied by Canadian, German officials
- Nanoleaf Bloom light bulb dims without dimmer switch
- Pendant containing child's ashes returned to family
- Tornado confirmed in Grand Bend, Ont., Environment Canada says
Muslims across the world are taking part in Eid celebrations to mark the end of the fasting month of Ramadan.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 1:17, Views 9
Date 16 hrs ago 5:04
Tooltip Information:Damian Warner shatters men's decathlon 100m recordVideo by:Description: The Canadian impresses with a record time in Glasgow.Rating: 3.66Views: 2944
Date 10 hrs ago 0:41
Tooltip Information:The fastest Rubik's Cube solver you've ever seenVideo by:Description: Antoine Cantin is the world record holder for Rubik's Cube solving at 12.56 seconds.Rating: 2.5Views: 1119
Date 4 hrs ago 1:24
Tooltip Information:Canadian Sultana Frizell repeats as Commonwealth hammer throw champVideo by:Description: Breaks own games record with throw of 71.97 metres.Rating: 4Views: 119