CN train derailment in Saskatchewan causes grassfire, oil leak
A CN Rail train has derailed just west of Landis, Sask., resulting in a grassfire and an oil leak.
There are no injuries.
RCMP said crews were on the scene Wednesday morning fighting the blaze and dealing with the derailment.
None of the 16 derailed cars had caught fire, the RCMP said. The fire, which was in a ditch, was extinguished.
The Saskatchewan government said the cars were loaded with ethanol, crude oil, car carriers and grain.
One of the cars filled with ethanol was on its side, but nothing was leaking out, the province said.
A car carrying crude oil was leaking, but it's not known how much oil is involved. A hazardous materials team is on the scene and crews are cleaning up the spill, the province said.
As a precautionary measure, school has been cancelled for the day in the town of Landis, about 130 kilometres west of Saskatoon.
There were 130 cars on the half-kilometre long train — 55 were loaded and 75 were empty.
- James Foley the subject of failed U.S. rescue mission in Syria
- RCMP look into Calgary link with possible Islamic militants
- Gillian Bennett, suffering with dementia, dies leaving right-to-die plea
- Justin Trudeau says he wants 170 Liberal MPs in the House
- Neanderthals, humans may have coexisted for thousands of years
- Beautiful aurora photos taken from space
- Billy Crystal tabbed to give Robin Williams tribute at Emmys
- Mohamed Yaffa accuses Air Canada of discrimination because he's Muslim
- Canadian ambassador Andrew Bennett says religious freedom 'violated' in China
- Michael Brown shooting: Eric Holder meets victim's family
Canadian loses in straight sets to Samantha Stosur.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 1:15, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 4 hrs ago 5:44
Tooltip Information:U.S. tried to rescue James FoleyVideo by:Description: Special operations troops were sent to Syria this summer on a secret mission to rescue American hostages, but failed to find themRating: 2Views: 496
Date 10 hrs ago 3:54
Tooltip Information:Reaction to American journalist's deathVideo by:Description: U.S. president expected to make a statement today, British PM concerned the ISIS spokesman on the execution video speaks with English accentRating: 4.88Views: 15874
Date 9 hrs ago 2:04
Tooltip Information:Dinosaur egg excavation could yield rare fossilized babiesVideo by:Description: Paleontologists in Alberta say if a nest belonging to duck-billed dinosaurs is found, it would the first in CanadaRating: 4Views: 3418