CN train derailment in Saskatchewan causes grassfire, oil leak
A CN Rail train has derailed just west of Landis, Sask., resulting in a grassfire and an oil leak.
There are no injuries.
RCMP said crews were on the scene Wednesday morning fighting the blaze and dealing with the derailment.
None of the 16 derailed cars had caught fire, the RCMP said. The fire, which was in a ditch, was extinguished.
The Saskatchewan government said the cars were loaded with ethanol, crude oil, car carriers and grain.
One of the cars filled with ethanol was on its side, but nothing was leaking out, the province said.
A car carrying crude oil was leaking, but it's not known how much oil is involved. A hazardous materials team is on the scene and crews are cleaning up the spill, the province said.
As a precautionary measure, school has been cancelled for the day in the town of Landis, about 130 kilometres west of Saskatoon.
There were 130 cars on the half-kilometre long train — 55 were loaded and 75 were empty.
- Cody Legebokoff sentenced to life on 4 counts of 1st-degree murder
- B.C. teachers' strike: When will schools reopen?
- Worst-ever Ebola outbreak, by the numbers
- NASA reveals astronauts' new ride to the International Space Station
- John Baird announces more sanctions against Russia
- N.L. mom reunited with Alberta son she thought was dead
- Tony Lacavera and West Face buy Wind Mobile from VimpelCom
- Home Depot credit card security breach could cost $3B
- CRTC gets an earful at hearings on future of TV
- Philippines volcano Mount Mayon erupting, thousands forced from homes
Actor appointed to promote action on climate change
Date 38 mins ago, Duration 1:21, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 5 hrs ago 2:22
Tooltip Information:Jamila Bibi risks stoning if deported to Pakistan: lawyerVideo by:Description: UN Office of Human Rights still looking at deportation caseRating: 3.07Views: 5019
Date 14 hrs ago 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 5Views: 2241