Collision near Thunder Bay leaves 5 dead
Five men are dead after a multi-vehicle collision in northwestern Ontario, a provincial police spokesperson confirmed Sunday.
Ontario Provincial Police were called to the scene on Highway 17, about 15 kilometres east of English River, just before 11 p.m. ET on Saturday. They found a westbound pickup truck had collided with an eastbound commercial vehicle.
The driver of the tractor trailer and the occupants of the pickup were all killed in crash. Police identified the driver of the commercial vehicle as 43-year-old Sukhwinder S. Thandi of Cambridge, Ont.
"[The] OPP is on scene, and currently investigating," Sgt. Shelley Garr said Sunday morning.
"At this point in time, we have not confirmed the identities of the deceased," she said.
Two other commercial vehicles were damaged in the collision but no one else was hurt.
Highway 17 between Upsala and Ignace re-opened Sunday morning, after closing overnight for the investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to call provincial police in Thunder Bay at 807-939-2133 or 1-888-310-1122.
- Gas price jump 'doesn't make sense'
- Ron MacLean won't be reprimanded over Quebec refs comment
- Firefighters were unaware Peel warehouse contained explosive materials
- The Koch brothers: Who are they and why do Democrats hate them?
- Rail safety improvements announced by Lisa Raitt in wake of Lac-Mégantic
- Canada's Sports Hall of Fame to unveil inductees
- Canadian robbed in Guatemala
- Bionic eye allows Michigan man to see glimpses
- Justin Bieber apologizes for Japan war shrine visit
- Ukraine crisis: Lavrov vows response if Russians attacked in Ukraine
An emotional memorial service has taken place to remember the victims of the South Korean ferry disaster.
Date 27 mins ago, Duration 2:02, Views 0
Date 20 hrs ago 3:08
Tooltip Information:CBC reporter helps reconnect familyVideo by:Description: CBC's Neil Herland helped Perry Wilson reunite with his sister and brother after 20 years apart.Rating: 4.46Views: 5479
Date 6 hrs ago 1:56
Tooltip Information:Ron MacLean's apology on Quebec refsVideo by:Description: Hockey Night In Canada commentator tries to extricate himself from hot water after comments about the impartiality of French-Canadian referees assigned to Montreal Canadiens playoff gamesRating: 3.31Views: 7492
Date 14-04-21 2:23
Tooltip Information:Waitresses lose jobs to foreign workersVideo by:Description: 2 servers say they were let go after working for years at a restaurant in SaskatchewanRating: 3.03Views: 44942