Collision near Thunder Bay leaves 5 dead
Five men are dead after a multi-vehicle collision in northwestern Ontario, a provincial police spokesperson confirmed Sunday.
Ontario Provincial Police were called to the scene on Highway 17, about 15 kilometres east of English River, just before 11 p.m. ET on Saturday. They found a westbound pickup truck had collided with an eastbound commercial vehicle.
The driver of the tractor trailer and the occupants of the pickup were all killed in crash. Police identified the driver of the commercial vehicle as 43-year-old Sukhwinder S. Thandi of Cambridge, Ont.
"[The] OPP is on scene, and currently investigating," Sgt. Shelley Garr said Sunday morning.
"At this point in time, we have not confirmed the identities of the deceased," she said.
Two other commercial vehicles were damaged in the collision but no one else was hurt.
Highway 17 between Upsala and Ignace re-opened Sunday morning, after closing overnight for the investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to call provincial police in Thunder Bay at 807-939-2133 or 1-888-310-1122.
- Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 search expands to distant waters
- Pauline Marois says independent Quebec would welcome Canadian tourists
- Stephen Harper takes on Ford over South Korea trade deal
- Average student debt difficult to pay off, delays life milestones
- Rich Peverley collapses on bench during game vs. Blue Jackets
- Barack Obama, on Funny or Die, hams it up for health care
- Lac-Mégantic mayor seeks rail safety upgrades in Washington
- Oscar Pistorius 'had a big love of weapons,' friend testifies
- 10 myths about taxes that mislead Canadians
- Too old to give blood at 71, would-be Halifax donor told
The Magic Flute by Mozart returns to a Paris stage, that of the Opera Bastille. Duration: 01:46
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 1:46, Views 7
Video by: AFP
Date 3 hrs ago 0:48
Tooltip Information:RAW Rail lights flashing at FallowfieldVideo by:Description: A look at the rail crossing earlier Tuesday morning as lights were flashing but the gates remained up.Rating: 4Views: 528777
Date 2 hrs ago 0:56
Tooltip Information:RAW: Extremely long traffic lineup in St. BonifaceVideo by:Description: Drivers are facing extremely long lineups and delays along Archibald Street as crews work to repair a water main.Rating: 4Views: 64863
Date 2 hrs ago 3:06
Tooltip Information:Wednesday snowstorm in forecast for HamiltonVideo by:Description: The CBC Weather Centre's Jay Scotland says Hamilton could receive as much as 16 cm of snow in a snowstorm that's expected to start on Tuesday night and continue into Wednesday.Rating: 4Views: 214761
Date 14-03-10 0:37
Tooltip Information:RAW: Water main break floods McPhillips underpassVideo by:Description: A morning water main break flooded the McPhillips Street underpass and forced it to close to traffic.Rating: 2.8Views: 1200161