Confederate battle flag raised over Mississippi Supreme Court building
A Confederate battle flag flew atop a state building in Mississippi for a couple hours after workers mistakenly bought it, a state spokeswoman told the Clarion-Ledger newspaper.
The flag was put up on the state Supreme Court building in Jackson about 2 p.m. Friday and taken down by 4 p.m.
Kym Wiggins, public information officer for the state Department of Finance and Administration, gave this account, the Clarion-Ledger said:
Workers went to a local vendor to buy new flags to replace a state flag that was torn. They were given two boxes labeled "Mississippi State Flag" -- but the flags inside were Confederate battle flags. A maintenance worker then put up the flag, and the mistake wasn't noticed for a couple of hours.
Wiggins described the incident as "highly unusual."
A professor emeritus of political science at the University of Southern Mississippi gave the Clarion-Ledger a different take. "Have we seceded already?" said Joseph Parker. “The execution is faster than I thought.”
- Nelson Mandela tributes to be attended by Harper, former PMs, former GG
- Obama puts odds of Iran nuclear deal at 50-50, or worse
- Ukraine opposition: no talks unless government fired
- Egyptian court eases sentences for Islamist women
- Nelson Mandela 'a great man,' family says
- Rob Ford upstages Santa Claus at Etobicoke parade
- Prince Harry still trekking, but not racing, to South Pole
- RCMP step up video surveillance of Parliament Hill
- Campbell Soup's SpaghettiOs apologizes for Pearl Harbor tweet
- Atheist billboard ads rejected in Vancouver
Canada wins 3-1.
Date 5 hrs ago, Duration 0:40, Views 52
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 13-12-07 1:57
Tooltip Information:J.S. Giguere flips outVideo by:Description: Colorado Avalanche goalie pushes the net after a Flames goal is scored because he believes he was interfered with by Lee Stempniak.Rating: 3Views: 6487
Date 7 hrs ago 0:46
Tooltip Information:Lake Louise Women's Downhill recapVideo by:Description: Maria Hoefl-Riesch of Germany won her second downhill in as many days. Lindsey Vonn finishes in 11th place.Rating: 4Views: 112
Date 5 hrs ago 0:40
Tooltip Information:Canada beats U.S. to win World Sledge Hockey ChallengeVideo by:Description: Canada wins 3-1.Rating: 1Views: 52