Cops: Mass. bargain-hunter took home TV, left 2-year-old boy behind
Eager holiday shoppers forego an after Thanksgiving nap to wait in line for door busting bargains.
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. -- Police say a Massachusetts man left his girlfriend's 2-year-old son in a car while he went shopping for Black Friday bargains, then went home with his new 51-inch flat screen television and left the toddler behind.
Police, alerted by store security, found the boy asleep in the vehicle in a Kmart parking lot at about 1:30 a.m. Friday.
They forced their way into the car and took the boy to the hospital as a precaution.
Meanwhile, they tracked the man to his Springfield home.
He told police he lost the boy while shopping, panicked and called someone else for a ride. The boy's mother was working.
The 34-year-old man was not arrested and not immediately charged, but police say they expect to charge him with reckless endangerment to a child.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Early wake-up call as NJ earthquake rattles homes
- Woman dies when dive boat capsizes near Miami
- Teen raise $80,000 for Sandy-hit beachtown
- Two fired after outrage over Tomb of the Unknowns photo
- Calif. cross-dresser accused of cooking wife