Edmonton police officer injured, man killed in shootout
An Edmonton police officer suffered non-life-threatening injuries when he was shot on Sunday night. Janice Johnston/CBC
An Edmonton police officer was injured and a suspect killed after a shooting in the Riverbend area of Edmonton, Alta., as police were executing a warrant on Sunday night.
The police officer suffered non-life-threatening injuries after being shot in the leg, Edmonton Police Services said. He has been taken to a hospital and is expected to recover.
Officers were attempting to execute a warrant and arrest a suspect at 8:30 p.m. MT when an altercation broke out between a man and police.
Multiple shots were fired.
One witness told CBC News that they heard about eight shots, then two men exchanging angry words and then a second set of gunfire totalling about six shots.
The man police had the warrant for is dead. He was seen in handcuffs under an Edmonton Police SUV.
The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team will take over the investigation.
- Police seek witnesses after Donald Street shooting
- Corey Blinkhorn, suspect in homeless man beating, arrested
- Drug dealers handed out cocaine samples
- Dejaeger to face trial on Alberta sex charges
- Police: Drug suspect threw cash on Blatnik Bridge
- Barrington Street stabbing leads to arrest of teenager
- Kidnapped 5-Year-Old Girl Killed in Police Shootout
- Man shot in head with BB gun, suspect facing assault charges
- Ottawa police seek suspect after man shot twice in legs
- Suspect arrested in Scarborough Town Centre sex assault
Scott Morgan won the men's vault for his 3rd podium finish at the Games
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 3:53, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 9 hrs ago 1:14
Tooltip Information:Blue Bombers stage last-second win over Tiger-CatsVideo by:Description: Winnipeg defeats Hamilton 27-26.Rating: 4Views: 92
Date 10 hrs ago 0:53
Tooltip Information:Nolan Reimold blasts 2 home runs as Jays win 6th straightVideo by:Description: Blue Jays beat Astros 6-5.Rating: 4Views: 117