An Edmonton police officer suffered non-life-threatening injuries when he was shot on Sunday night. Janice Johnston/CBC
An Edmonton police officer was shot in the Riverbend area of Edmonton, Alta., as police were executing a warrant on Sunday night.
The police officer suffered non-life-threatening injuries, Edmonton Police Services said. He has been taken to a hospital.
Officers were attempting to execute a warrant and arrest a suspect at 8:30 p.m. MT when an altercation broke out between a man and police.
Multiple shots were fired.
One witness told CBC News that they heard about eight shots, then two men exchanging angry words and then a second set of gunfire totalling about six shots.
The man police had the warrant for is dead. He was seen in handcuffs under an Edmonton Police SUV.
The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team will take over the investigation.
- ISIS militants accused of ethnic cleansing in Iraq
- Jennifer Lawrence photo hack: Attention turns to FBI, Apple
- B.C. teachers' strike: No classes on what is supposed to be 1st day of school
- Gabriel Dion and Saint-Sulpice bar owner make amends
- Uzi gun death accident exposes debate about children and guns
- 'Bias' concerns led tax agency to target left-leaning think-tank
- Uber taxi app banned in Germany
- 'Space sex geckos' found dead upon return to Earth, Russia says
- Back-to-school sales sluggish, expected to extend into September
- Tony Accurso set to testify at Quebec corruption inquiry
Schools in Ontario are rolling out the last phase of its all-day kindergarten program across the province, Mike Crawley reports
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 2:58, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.19Views: 106158
Date 11 hrs ago 4:10
Tooltip Information:Ukraine's growing turmoilVideo by:Description: NATO says it needs to create a rapid reaction force to respond to Russian aggression against any of its members, as well as UkraineRating: 5Views: 280