Flags in Quebec's public buildings will be lowered to half-mast for a week as Quebecers honour those who died and are still missing in the Lac-Mégantic rail disaster, the premier says.
"The entire province of Quebec is in mourning since this accident," Pauline Marois said at a news conference following a meeting with her cabinet this morning in Quebec City.
"On behalf of all Quebecers, I offer all of my condolences to the community, the citizens of Lac-Mégantic."
Marois announced $60 million in financial aid available now to citizens and the municipality devastated by fire and explosions Saturday following the derailment of a runaway train.
The death toll in the small community east of Montreal remains at 15, but 60 people in total have been reported missing or remain unaccounted for, officials said this morning.
It's likely the dead are included in the official list of missing persons.
Marois said residents can immediately access $1,000 in financial assistance to help with food, shelter and cleanup in the town.
Other funds will be made available to those who suffered significant property damage.
The province plans to have an office set up in the community by Monday and to ensure that citizens who need immediate help get a cheque the same day, she said.
At least 30 buildings were levelled by blasts in the town's core. The province has offered the town funds to cover the loss in property tax from those businesses and more assistance to business owners to help with relocation and paying employees.
Marois said her government has been in touch with federal cabinet ministers to inform them of the province's plan and will eventually make a request for assistance from Ottawa.
"We want the maximum aid we can get," she said, adding it's not clear yet how they will share costs with the federal government.
"I know this is a small consolation, but we will be there as long as it takes to rebuild a modern, attractive downtown and help the citizens of this community."
Earlier this morning, Quebec provincial police said their list of missing people had grown from 50 names to 60.
"You have to understand that, yes, we do have a list, and we are not publicizing it because of double victimization that could occur when people on this list are [turning up] afterward," said Insp. Michel Forget.
Genevieve Guilbault, a spokeswoman for Quebec's coroner's office, said the bodies of the 15 people already recovered have been transferred to Montreal, but no identifications have been confirmed.
Unofficial lists of people reported missing or unaccounted for have been published on social media, but no official list has been released.
Forget stressed that the Quebec provincial police haven't released their list because people are being added and removed quickly as police speak with more people and others are located.
He described standing beside one person who was devastated after seeing the name and photo of a loved one published in the media. The person was not missing, he said.
He urged anyone who has spoken to police and can help update the file to get in touch with investigators immediately.
"You have to understand, and we are reiterating here, that the people who are missing, a relative, a close friend has to contact us if they’ve been in contact with them since Saturday," he said.
Investigators sifted through the charred remains of Lac-Mégantic's historic downtown early Wednesday morning, as they searched for clues into what could turn out to be North America's worst railway disaster since 1989.
Police said they are investigating whether Saturday's derailment and subsequent explosion — which leveled the centre of the lakeside Quebec town killing at least 15 and probably dozens more — involved foul play or criminal negligence.
"We are conducting a criminal investigation. We are not neglecting anything so far," Forget told reporters yesterday. This morning, he said officers worked through the night looking for evidence and remains.
In Quebec, it's the Crown's office that lays criminal charges, not the police. Forget said investigators will turn over all the information they gather to the Crown, who will then make a decision on whether or not charges will be filed.
The Transportation Safety Board said it was looking into whether the train's operator — Montreal, Maine and Atlantic — followed proper safety procedures in the hours before the unmanned 72-car train carrying crude oil rolled down a hill and slammed into town.
The incident forced some 2,000 people, or roughly a third of the town's population, to leave their homes and seek shelter in local schools or with friends and family.
Dozens of people were forced to take shelter at a temporary evacuation centre set up at the local high school.
As firefighters contained the blaze, many of the evacuees were allowed to return to their homes, where they found a mix of relief, emotional distress and unexpected problems.
- Read: Lac-Mégantic victims pose challenge for forensic experts
- Watch: Shocking new Lac-Mégantic explosion video emerges
- Read: More about railway CEO's interview with Radio-Canada
"After that tragedy, after watching that fire burn half the downtown, we are happy to be back home," said Denis Leveille, 57, who spent the day on his front porch visiting with friends.
The waiting game
With parts of the town still considered dangerous — and part of it still a crime scene — emergency officials could not say when the remainder of the evacuees, about 800 people, would be permitted home.
For some of the remaining evacuees, who waited patiently at the perimeter for days, watching others allowed through was the last straw. A small group lashed out angrily at police, demanding that they be let back into their homes just a few meters away.
"We just want to go home," said one man, who was later ushered away by police. "We have rights in Quebec, no?"
Still others chose to stay far away from the once-picturesque downtown, in part because of the emotional strain of being so close to the blast zone.
Caroline Rancourt, a 37-year-old single mother, said she was at work at the Musi-Café, a favourite local hangout, hours before it was leveled by the runaway train. Eyewitnesses said the bar was packed when the train hit and burst into flames.
"It was the screams that woke me," she said. "I remember I was half asleep and I heard the cries and thought, 'It's night, why are there kids screaming?'
"Then [there was] the sound of fireworks, and then after that it was all so fast," she said, struggling to hold back tears. "We left and I didn't yet know what all had happened at the Musi-Café."
MMA executives have said they believe the train's air brakes failed while it was parked in the neighbouring town of Nantes, after firemen shut down the engine to put out a fire that erupted on Friday night.
- Watch: Town pharmacist describes tight-knit community
- Watch: Resident was getting ready for bed when she felt the ground shake
- Read: Safety rules lag as oil transport by train rises
But it remains unclear whether the train's conductor had set enough hand brakes — which are meant to hold a train in place even if the air brakes fail — before he left the train for a shift change shortly before the fire broke out.
MMA, which is headquartered in Chicago, has a long history of accidents in Canada, according to Transportation Safety Board data, which shows 129 accidents, including 77 derailments — some of them minor — since 2003.
A TSB official said she could not immediately say how that compared to other rail operators in the country.
With files from Reuters