An Alaskan malamute competes in the Westminster Kennel Club dog show in February. RCMP said two Alaskan malamutes have been seized after a seven-year-old girl was mauled and killed in Oakbank, Man., over the weekend. Frank Franklin II/The Associated Press
A seven-year-old girl was mauled to death by two of her family's dogs near Oakbank, Man.
RCMP said the girl was attacked just before 3:30 p.m. on Sunday. She was rushed to the Children’s Hospital in Winnipeg where she was pronounced dead.
Springfield Animal Control seized two Alaskan malamute dogs shortly after the incident.
On its Facebook page, Rural Animal Management Services, posted Sunday evening that "there will be no press release or casual discussion from us surrounding today's tragic events. Our thoughts go out to all those impacted by this terrible incident."
Dan Fryer, an animal control and animal protection officer with the service, said the two dogs have not been destroyed.
RCMP said they will not be releasing the name of the girl, but did say she was from St. Andrews.
- B.C. teachers' strike: BCTF recommends accepting 6-year deal
- Boeing, SpaceX to provide new ride to International Space Station
- iOS 8: 8 new things
- Cody Legebokoff sentenced to life on 4 counts of 1st-degree murder
- Ebola outbreak 'spiralling out of control': Barack Obama
- Orioles defeat Blue Jays, win AL East title
- MPs debate mission of Canadian advisers in Iraq
- N.L. mom reunited with Alberta son she thought was dead
- Ray Rice's indefinite suspension appealed by NFLPA
- John Baird announces more sanctions against Russia
A heated 8th inning between Tampa Bay and NY Yankees.
Date 54 mins ago, Duration 3:02, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 23 hrs ago 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.4Views: 10085
Date 8 hrs ago 3:26
Tooltip Information:Andrew Allan meets birth mother Marion CoombsVideo by:Description: Andrew Allan tracked down Marion Coombs who was told he was dead after he was born and she had wanted to put him up for adoptionRating: 3.33Views: 3009