Family in shock after police shooting on Toronto streetcar
A family is in shock after a police shooting left a young man dead on a Toronto streetcar this weekend.
Sammy Yatim was shot just after midnight on Friday, following an alleged altercation with police.
Initial reports indicated that police had been responding to a call about a man with a knife on the streetcar near Dundas Street West and Bathurst Street, at the time of the shooting.
Yatim was taken to a downtown hospital with a gunshot wound. He was soon pronounced dead.
The victim's sister, Sarah, confirmed that Yatim was the young man killed on the streetcar and said that her family was in shock over what happened.
Sammy Yatim was 18 years old at the time of his death. His family moved to Toronto from Syria about five years ago.
The slain man’s friends have posted their condolences on Facebook and Twitter.
The circumstances of the shooting are now being probed by Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit.
The SIU investigates all incidents involving police in which death or serious injury occur, or when allegations of sexual assault are raised.
With a report from the CBC's Ivy Cuervo
- Air Canada to consider firing workers in baggage toss video
- South Korea ferry: Death toll climbs as divers start removing bodies
- Calgary stabbings: victims' families come together to heal
- Ukraine crisis: At barricades, insurgents await Easter
- Rehtaeh Parsons suspect accused of threatening girl's father
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Woman dies after dad hits her trying to park near Ottawa hospital
- Mount Everest avalanche highlights risk Sherpas face
- Aggressive raccoon attacks puppy in Vancouver's West End
- Dog thief caught on camera at Vancouver tattoo parlour
Blue Jackets beat Penguins in 2-OT, even series.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:32, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 10 hrs ago 3:17
Tooltip Information:Luggage toss caught on videoVideo by:Description: Dwayne Stewart was sitting on an Air Canada plane when he noticed a baggage handler dropping luggage at least 3 metres into a bin belowRating: 4Views: 2619
Date 14-04-16 0:50
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: What happenedVideo by:Description: Early Tuesday morning five people were stabbed to death at a house party hosted by university students. Here's what we know so far about what happenedRating: 3.35Views: 5784