Float plane carrying 6 missing near Tofino, B.C.
Air and ground crews are searching for a float plane carrying six people that went missing in a remote area on the west coast of Vancouver Island.
The plane took off near Hesquiat Lake, north of Tofino, Friday morning around 10:20 a.m. PT and failed to arrive at its destination of Gold River, in Vancouver Island's interior.
The plane is a DeHavilland Beaver and belongs to Air Nootka, based in Gold River.
A spokesperson from the airline has confirmed with CBC News that one of their planes is overdue.
Hesquisaid the pilot sent out a distress call three minutes after takeoff.
In addition to the pilot, there were five passengers on board. It's believed the passengers were hikers.
Ground crews, the coast guard, and some local First Nations bands are helping with the search, but officials say low clouds, rain and windy weather are hampering their efforts.
- McDonald's foreign worker practices halted in face of investigation
- B.C. earthquake: 6.7 magnitude quake hits near Port Alice, B.C.
- Rehtaeh Parsons suspects' lawyers want Crown to testify
- Weyburn restaurant defends staffing moves and use of foreign temps
- New study picks the best Canadian cities for women
- Abbotsford police shoot mentally ill man with rubber bullets
- Gas price jump 'doesn't make sense'
- Explosion at Mississauga warehouse injures 4 firefighters
- Canada gets Happy with Pharrell Williams dance videos
- New York police face backlash for #myNYPD photo campaign
Health officials hope more people will seek vaccination
Date 56 mins ago, Duration 2:01, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 9 hrs ago 1:56
Tooltip Information:Ron MacLean's apology on Quebec refsVideo by:Description: Hockey Night In Canada commentator tries to extricate himself from hot water after comments about the impartiality of French-Canadian referees assigned to Montreal Canadiens playoff gamesRating: 3.3Views: 10660
Date 5 hrs ago 2:09
Tooltip Information:Criminal charges coming after Winnipeg hockey fightVideo by:Description: Police say charges are pending against three people involved in an on-ice brawl at a hockey tournament in Winnipeg.Rating: 3.5Views: 707
Date 14-04-22 3:08
Tooltip Information:CBC reporter helps reconnect familyVideo by:Description: CBC's Neil Herland helped Perry Wilson reunite with his sister and brother after 20 years apart.Rating: 3.86Views: 14294