Float plane carrying 6 missing near Tofino, B.C.
Air and ground crews are searching for a float plane carrying six people that went missing in a remote area on the west coast of Vancouver Island.
The plane took off near Hesquiat Lake, north of Tofino, Friday morning around 10:20 a.m. PT and failed to arrive at its destination of Gold River, in Vancouver Island's interior.
The plane is a DeHavilland Beaver and belongs to Air Nootka, based in Gold River.
A spokesperson from the airline has confirmed with CBC News that one of their planes is overdue.
Hesquisaid the pilot sent out a distress call three minutes after takeoff.
In addition to the pilot, there were five passengers on board. It's believed the passengers were hikers.
Ground crews, the coast guard, and some local First Nations bands are helping with the search, but officials say low clouds, rain and windy weather are hampering their efforts.
- Rehtaeh Parsons suspect accused of threatening girl's father
- Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 will be found, expert says
- Rob Ford’s 'cranes in the sky' line examined by economists
- 4 new species of 'killer' sponges discovered off Pacific coast
- Air Canada investigating luggage toss caught on video
- New Brunswick flood concerns continue
- How dearth of Canadian teams in NHL hockey playoffs will hit local economies
- Mount Everest avalanche: 13th body pulled from snow
- Ralph Nader slams GM's stance on 'hypothetical casualties'
- Calgary stabbings: Funerals for 3 of 5 victims set for Monday
The search resumes for three missing local guides after an avalanche kills 13 Sherpas on the slopes of Mount Everest.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:38, Views 86
Date 14-04-16 0:50
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: What happenedVideo by:Description: Early Tuesday morning five people were stabbed to death at a house party hosted by university students. Here's what we know so far about what happenedRating: 3Views: 1221
Date 14-04-17 1:25
Tooltip Information:McDonald's foreign workers call it 'slavery'Video by:Description: Belizian temporary workers docked more pay for rent in corporate apartment than the cost incurred by McDonald'sRating: 3.68Views: 28327