Float plane carrying 6 missing near Tofino, B.C.
Air and ground crews are searching for a float plane carrying six people that went missing in a remote area on the west coast of Vancouver Island.
The plane took off near Hesquiat Lake, north of Tofino, Friday morning around 10:20 a.m. PT and failed to arrive at its destination of Gold River, in Vancouver Island's interior.
The plane is a DeHavilland Beaver and belongs to Air Nootka, based in Gold River.
A spokesperson from the airline has confirmed with CBC News that one of their planes is overdue.
Hesquisaid the pilot sent out a distress call three minutes after takeoff.
In addition to the pilot, there were five passengers on board. It's believed the passengers were hikers.
Ground crews, the coast guard, and some local First Nations bands are helping with the search, but officials say low clouds, rain and windy weather are hampering their efforts.
- Canada plans legislation to end pay-to-pay billing fees
- Asteroid smash-up captured by NASA telescope
- Ebola outbreak: ZMapp protects sick monkeys
- Is it time for higher speed limits on Canada's highways?
- B.C. teachers' strike: When could classes start?
- Sunwing Flight 656: Why passengers are unlikely to win damages due to unruly fliers
- Is mapping the North Pole seabed worth the time and money?
- David Cameron, British PM, plans new laws to tackle terrorism threat
- Iraq to receive $2.75M in Canadian aid as military supplies arrive
- Premiers agree to move forward with a national energy strategy
Reaches 4th round for 1st time in her career.
Date 3 hrs ago, Duration 1:04, Views 24
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.18Views: 94419
Date 3 hrs ago 3:15
Tooltip Information:B.C. teachers' strike: Vince Ready declares an impasseVideo by:Description: The veteran mediator leaves the negotiations he joined ThursdayRating: 4Views: 394
Date 3 hrs ago 2:19
Tooltip Information:'I'm stepping away': Vince Ready RAW interviewVideo by:Description: Mediator Vince Ready explains why he is leaving the B.C. teachers' strike negotiationsRating: 4Views: 184
Date 8 hrs ago 1:53
Tooltip Information:Teacher fired for giving zeros wins appealVideo by:Description: Appeal board rules Lynden Dorval was treated unfairly when he was suspended and fired for giving zeros to his studentsRating: 5Views: 1005