Floods, mudslides prompt state of emergency in Sochi
A woman and a young boy walk on a flooded street in Sochi, Russia, where a state of emergency was declared Wednesday. Maxim Shemetov/Reuters
Floods and mudslides caused by heavy rain have prompted Russian authorities to introduce a state of emergency in Sochi, the host city of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.
The Emergency Situations Ministry said Wednesday that about 1,800 of its personnel were involved in cleaning up the streets and pumping out water after the torrential rain caused local rivers to overfill and flood some sections of highways and a few residential areas in the Black Sea resort.
The ministry said the water level in the city's rivers was receding.
Traffic in the city has returned to normal.
The city's airport and its railway station were functioning normally.
In the village of Mirny, where 10 houses were affected by flooding, emergency teams were deployed to pump out water.
- ISIS audio urges Muslims everywhere to kill 'unbelievers'
- MAVEN spacecraft reaches orbit around Mars
- Ebola outbreak: Sierra Leone lockdown not extended
- UN Climate Summit: Thousands march worldwide ahead of meeting
- Wind, rainfall warnings blanket Atlantic coastline
- BC Ferries fare hikes forcing some to rethink island work, life
- How a Winnipeg lab became an Ebola research powerhouse
- Importing air pollution from China
- Pennsylvania multi-car crash leaves 4 children, 1 adult dead
- Calgary cougar shooting to get full review, justice minister says
The New York Yankees defeated the Toronto Blue Jays 5-2 thanks to the return of Masahiro Tanaka and 2 homeruns from Brian McCann.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 0:58, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 4 hrs ago 4:21
Tooltip Information:World climate change ralliesVideo by:Description: CBC's Paul Hunter reports from NYC, where organizers say at least 100,000 people are taking part in a march through ManhattanRating: 4Views: 151
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.72Views: 92487
Date 14-09-18 2:20
Tooltip Information:Homeowner seeks repayment for construction damagesVideo by:Description: Bill Shotyk says the company working on a home next door to his is refusing for pay for damage to his property.Rating: 3Views: 9542