Floods, mudslides prompt state of emergency in Sochi
A woman and a young boy walk on a flooded street in Sochi, Russia, where a state of emergency was declared Wednesday. Maxim Shemetov/Reuters
Floods and mudslides caused by heavy rain have prompted Russian authorities to introduce a state of emergency in Sochi, the host city of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.
The Emergency Situations Ministry said Wednesday that about 1,800 of its personnel were involved in cleaning up the streets and pumping out water after the torrential rain caused local rivers to overfill and flood some sections of highways and a few residential areas in the Black Sea resort.
The ministry said the water level in the city's rivers was receding.
Traffic in the city has returned to normal.
The city's airport and its railway station were functioning normally.
In the village of Mirny, where 10 houses were affected by flooding, emergency teams were deployed to pump out water.
- Derailed CN freight car hits Via Rail train near Gananoque
- Tory MP Eve Adams quits bitter nomination race, cites health
- Legendary Ojibwa sniper unsung hero of WW I
- Obama calls for release of Hadar Goldin, captured Israeli soldier
- 'Doug Ford is lying,' Toronto police chief says, threatening lawsuit
- Burlington Skyway closed all weekend as engineers assess damage
- Chief's $1M pay 'not reasonable,' Bernard Valcourt says
- Polar bear wins tug of war with Nunavut man over beluga
- Yvon Lambert appeals to public after losing 1976 Stanley Cup ring
- Huge waves detected in Arctic waters for 1st time
Indiana Pacers forward suffers gruesome injury during Team USA scrimmage.
Date 46 mins ago, Duration 0:49, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 1 hr ago 0:49
Tooltip Information:Pacers' Paul George suffers gruesome serious leg injuryVideo by:Description: Indiana Pacers forward suffers gruesome injury during Team USA scrimmage.Rating: 4Views: 0