Grandmother charged in death of Milton boy inside hot car
The maternal grandmother of a Milton, Ont., toddler who died from heat exposure after being left alone inside a car last week has been criminally charged with her grandson's death.
Leslie McDonald, 51, was arrested by Halton homicide detectives. She has been charged with criminal negligence causing death and failing to provide the necessities of life after an autopsy was performed on Maximus Huyskens, 2, who died on a sweltering afternoon late last month.
Police had said the boy was left "for an extended period of time" inside a sedan parked outside his parents' Milton townhouse. He had earlier been left in the care of his grandmother while his father was at work and his mother was at an appointment.
McDonald is scheduled to appear in Milton Court on Aug. 14.
The Canada Safety Council estimates that between four and six children die from being left unattended in vehicles every year. During a summer day, internal temperatures can rise to 50 C in as little as 10 minutes.
- South Korean ferry sinking rescue hampered by weather
- Calgary stabbings timeline: What we know happened
- Stephen Arthuro Solis-Reyes charged in Heartbleed-related SIN theft
- Ukraine crisis: 3 dead after Black Sea base attack
- uFly fires flight instructor after CNN appearances on Malaysia Airlines story
- South Korea ferry disaster: Texts from the doomed ship
- CSEC aware of Heartbleed bug day before CRA website shutdown
- Dale Weise scores in OT as Habs upend Lightning
- Jim Flaherty hailed as a 'hero' by sons at state funeral
- Quebec anti-corruption unit investigates re-elected MNA
Date 6 hrs ago 2:06
Tooltip Information:Student arrested in Heartbleed-related theftVideo by:Description: RCMP have arrested a 19-year-old London, Ont., man in connection with the theft of 900 social insurance numbersRating: 3Views: 1822
Date 7 hrs ago 2:46
Tooltip Information:Matthew de Grood's lawyer speaksVideo by:Description: Allan Fay met his client for the first time today and share his initial findings with CBC Calgary.Rating: 5Views: 1020