Guy Turcotte child murder case may go to Supreme Court
Guy Turcotte's lawyer wants the Supreme Court of Canada to consider overturning a Quebec Court of Appeal ruling ordering a new trial after Turcotte was found not criminally responsible for killing his two children in 2009.
Defence lawyer Pierre Poupart announced Friday he would make the request to the country's top court.
Crown prosecutor René Verret was expecting to set a new trial date at Turcotte's Friday appearance at the courthouse in St-Jerome.
The Quebec Court of Appeal ordered a new trial in November after overturning the decision that Turcotte was not criminally responsible due to a mental disorder in the stabbing deaths of his children.
More to come
- New trials in B.C. sex worker killings
- Turcotte to receive trial date in May
- Tony Accurso's request refused by Canada's top court
- Wrongfully convicted man wins Supreme Court hearing on compensation
- Court orders 'rare' fourth murder trial
- Supreme Court to decide on retrial in Candace Derksen slaying
- Stephen Harper says he'll respect Supreme Court's Nadon ruling
- Supreme Court to rule Friday on Marc Nadon appointment
- Robert Badgerow to face 'rare' fourth murder trial
- High court will hear Chevron appeal
Blue Jackets beat Penguins in 2-OT, even series.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:32, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 9 hrs ago 3:17
Tooltip Information:Luggage toss caught on videoVideo by:Description: Dwayne Stewart was sitting on an Air Canada plane when he noticed a baggage handler dropping luggage at least 3 metres into a bin belowRating: 4Views: 2491
Date 14-04-16 0:50
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: What happenedVideo by:Description: Early Tuesday morning five people were stabbed to death at a house party hosted by university students. Here's what we know so far about what happenedRating: 3.35Views: 5607
Date 3 hrs ago 3:01
Tooltip Information:Woman walks off with French bulldogVideo by:Description: Surveillance footage from a Vancouver tatoo shop shows the woman getting into a car without licence platesRating: 4Views: 142