Halifax police officer stabbing nets attempt murder charge
The wounded officer has since been released from hospital. Initially his injuries were said to be serious because the neck wound produced a lot of blood. CBC
A 31-year-old man accused of stabbing a Halifax Regional Police officer in the neck and forearm Friday night at Metro Turning Point on Barrington Street is facing attempted murder charges.
Police say two officers tried to arrest the subject at the men’s shelter on Barrington Street on a warrant for failing to appear in court on weapons charges.
The suspect fled.
After a short foot chase, one of the officers caught up to the man. Police say that’s when the man pulled a knife and stabbed the officer in the neck and forearm.
Police then subdued the suspect with a stun gun and arrested him. The man remains in custody.
The wounded officer has since been released from hospital. Initially, his injuries were said to be serious because the neck wound produced a lot of blood.
The officer is expected to make a full recovery, police say.
- Calgary stabbing victims identified as students, bandmates
- South Korean ferry sinking leaves 3 dead, almost 300 missing
- Matthew de Grood: Who is the Calgary stabbing suspect?
- Calgary stabbings: How knife crime in Canada can cause 'moral panic'
- Brain drain challenges First Nation communities across Canada
- Toronto Hydro restores power after massive blackout
- Jim Flaherty's family, colleagues gather for state funeral today
- Tax credits not the best way to help students
- Treatment of farm livestock: Deciding what's ethical
- South Korean ferry sinking kills 2; 295 missing
China's economy grew 7.4% in the first three months of the year - slightly better than expected, but below the government's target.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:51, Views 2
Date 20 hrs ago 7:08
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: 5 youths deadVideo by:Description: Neighbour Doug Jones interviewed after 3 declared dead at scene, 2 more later died in hospitalRating: 3.24Views: 30162
Date 16 hrs ago 1:19
Tooltip Information:RAW: Calf rescued in flood waterVideo by:Description: Video taken from Tammy McLean of a one-month-old calf trying to swim to shore in western New BrunswickRating: 1.5Views: 1506
Date 14-04-14 5:49
Tooltip Information:What stolen SINs might mean to youVideo by:Description: Raymond VanKrimpen discusses the Heartbleed bug breach at Revenue Canada, and what it might mean for consumersRating: 3.76Views: 18078