Homeowner shocked after house mistakenly demolished
A homeowner in Fort Worth, Tex., returned from holiday on the weekend only to discover a concrete foundation where he had left a three-bedroom house standing.
David Underwood and his wife found an empty lot — and a mailbox marking the location of the 1,300-square-foot house that had been in his family for generations.
"I can literally remember sitting on the counter when I was a little kid, and my grandmother would cook breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever," Underwood told the Fort Worth Star Telegram.
The 1951 structure, which he recently purchased from his aunt, had been vacant, with the utilities turned off, because Underwood was planning to renovate it before moving in.
A contractor hired by the city to tear down a condemned house next door instead demolished Underwood's property on July 12.
City spokesman Bill Begley told the newspaper the city has asked Underwood to put a value on the home. Its market value, according to a real estate appraisal website, would be $122,000 US.
- Derailed CN freight car hits Via Rail train near Gananoque
- Tory MP Eve Adams quits bitter nomination race, cites health
- Legendary Ojibwa sniper unsung hero of WW I
- Obama calls for release of Hadar Goldin, captured Israeli soldier
- 'Doug Ford is lying,' Toronto police chief says, threatening lawsuit
- Burlington Skyway closed all weekend as engineers assess damage
- Chief's $1M pay 'not reasonable,' Bernard Valcourt says
- Polar bear wins tug of war with Nunavut man over beluga
- Yvon Lambert appeals to public after losing 1976 Stanley Cup ring
- Huge waves detected in Arctic waters for 1st time
Indiana Pacers forward suffers gruesome injury during Team USA scrimmage.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 0:49, Views 76
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 3 hrs ago 0:49
Tooltip Information:Pacers' Paul George suffers gruesome serious leg injuryVideo by:Description: Indiana Pacers forward suffers gruesome injury during Team USA scrimmage.Rating: 4Views: 235
Date 9 hrs ago 7:13
Tooltip Information:Usain Bolt leads Jamaica's 4x100m relay team to the finalVideo by:Description: Watch the Jamaicans finish 1st in their heat and advance to the final.Rating: 4Views: 16