Homeowner shocked after house mistakenly demolished
A homeowner in Fort Worth, Tex., returned from holiday on the weekend only to discover a concrete foundation where he had left a three-bedroom house standing.
David Underwood and his wife found an empty lot — and a mailbox marking the location of the 1,300-square-foot house that had been in his family for generations.
"I can literally remember sitting on the counter when I was a little kid, and my grandmother would cook breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever," Underwood told the Fort Worth Star Telegram.
The 1951 structure, which he recently purchased from his aunt, had been vacant, with the utilities turned off, because Underwood was planning to renovate it before moving in.
A contractor hired by the city to tear down a condemned house next door instead demolished Underwood's property on July 12.
City spokesman Bill Begley told the newspaper the city has asked Underwood to put a value on the home. Its market value, according to a real estate appraisal website, would be $122,000 US.
- South Korea ferry captain may have delayed evacuation
- Amanda Todd case: RCMP announce 5 charges against Dutch citizen
- How Toronto Mayor Rob Ford could win again
- Share a juicer, your dog or a room in your home? How the sharing economy took off
- Canada's criticism of Russia 'makes no difference'
- Reconciliation not opportunity to 'get over it': Justice Murray Sinclair
- Matthew de Grood's father: 'Just like you, we struggle to understand what happened'
- South Korea ferry: The 'daunting task' of rescuing survivors
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel-winning author, dead at 87
- Mount Everest avalanche kills 12 Nepalese guides
Sharks too strong for Kings in Game 1.
Date 4 hrs ago, Duration 1:26, Views 9
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 22 hrs ago 1:25
Tooltip Information:McDonald's foreign workers call it 'slavery'Video by:Description: Belizian temporary workers docked more pay for rent in corporate apartment than the cost incurred by McDonald'sRating: 3.75Views: 21271
Date 14-04-17 2:06
Tooltip Information:Student arrested in Heartbleed-related theftVideo by:Description: RCMP have arrested a 19-year-old London, Ont., man in connection with the theft of 900 social insurance numbersRating: 3.6Views: 12321