Hospital parking tax break proposed for patients, visitors
The parking lot at the Victoria General hospital in Halifax on Monday, Nov. 28, 2011. The Canadian Medical Association Journal says hospitals should stop charging patients for parking. Andrew Vaughan/Canadian Press
The federal Finance Department is proposing to soften part of the 2013 budget and exempt hospital parking fees from the GST or HST.
Last year's budget ended a special tax break on parking fees at public institutions where the parking lot was run by a non-profit partner.
The government said the change was intended to ensure consistent tax treatment.
Now, however, Finance is proposing a new loophole for parking fees paid by hospital patients and visitors.
It will go ahead with amendments to eliminate the tax exemption for parking provided by a charity set up or used by a municipality, university, public college or school.
The department says it will accept public comments on the proposal until Feb. 24.
- Bystanders lift car off trapped man on Ottawa's Bayshore Drive
- New rules on business software coming
- HST hike needed to balance budget, business council says
- Ebola crisis: Atlanta hospital to discuss discharge of American patients
- Ottawa has $730 million of unclaimed money
- Dartmouth General patient waits almost 2 days in ER for bed
- Winnipeg mayoral hopefuls eye more PST revenue, youth programs
- Online petition for Misericordia replacement launched by NDP
- Tax cuts since 2005 net Canadians $30B: PBO
- Legionnaire's case reported at Sherbrooke hospital
Giants pitcher breaks Jays lefty Buehrle's record of 45 straight.
Date 5 hrs ago, Duration 0:51, Views 14
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 4 hrs ago 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3Views: 1206
Date 14-08-24 3:24
Tooltip Information:Earthquake hits Napa ValleyVideo by:Description: Thousands are left without power after a magnitude 6 earthquake, the strongest to his the region since 1989Rating: 3.17Views: 138050
Date 20 hrs ago 2:40
Tooltip Information:'2 unruly female passengers': Plane turns backVideo by:Description: Sunwing flight en route to Cuba forced to return to Toronto after two disruptive passengers cause a disturbanceRating: 2.75Views: 7022
Date 14-08-27 0:30
Tooltip Information:Arizona gun instructor gives fatal Uzi lessonVideo by:Description: Images of the lesson stop just before 9-year-old accidentally shoots himRating: 2Views: 26484