Hospital parking tax break proposed for patients, visitors
The parking lot at the Victoria General hospital in Halifax on Monday, Nov. 28, 2011. The Canadian Medical Association Journal says hospitals should stop charging patients for parking. Andrew Vaughan/Canadian Press
The federal Finance Department is proposing to soften part of the 2013 budget and exempt hospital parking fees from the GST or HST.
Last year's budget ended a special tax break on parking fees at public institutions where the parking lot was run by a non-profit partner.
The government said the change was intended to ensure consistent tax treatment.
Now, however, Finance is proposing a new loophole for parking fees paid by hospital patients and visitors.
It will go ahead with amendments to eliminate the tax exemption for parking provided by a charity set up or used by a municipality, university, public college or school.
The department says it will accept public comments on the proposal until Feb. 24.
- Some Civic hospital staff upset by having to park off site
- Dartmouth General patients get special gowns to stay warm
- Watch Live: Hospital Speaks on Third American With Ebola
- Man in critical condition after early morning stabbing
- Ebola crisis: Atlanta hospital to discuss discharge of American patients
- Bystanders lift car off trapped man on Ottawa's Bayshore Drive
- B.C. tour bus crash: More passengers released from hospital
- B.C. tour bus crash: Half of injured passengers released from hospital
Some Canadians stuck in Los Cabos after this week's devastating hurricane landed at YVR
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:23, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 3.07Views: 21074
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.22Views: 32858