Injured Stampede skydiver has broken leg, military confirms
A SkyHawks skydiver who was injured during a performance at the Calgary Stampede has a broken leg, the military has confirmed.
The parachutist was transported to Foothills Medical Centre after a rough landing at the Calgary Stampede shortly before 2 p.m. MT Sunday.
He was conscious and talking during transport to hospital. However, paramedics say due to the nature of his injuries, he is being classified as in serious, potentially life-threatening condition because they could progress.
Lt. (navy) Julie Harris with the SkyHawks says the diver "came in hard" but was talking and joking as paramedics treated him.
The Canadian Forces Parachute Team, also known as the SkyHawks, is Canada's only military parachute demonstration team.
The elite parachutists regularly give performances which bring the team in close proximity to build formations in the sky.
The injury occurred during the national anthem jump.
- Malaysia Airlines jet: Interpol says terrorism less likely cause
- Canada-South Korea trade deal to phase out import tariffs on cars
- Average student debt difficult to pay off, delays life milestones
- Rich Peverley collapses on bench during game vs. Blue Jackets
- 10 myths about taxes that mislead Canadians
- Too old to give blood at 71, would-be Halifax donor told
- More snow ahead for southern Ontario tomorrow
- Grocery apps save money — and track shoppers
- Canadian wilderness shaped by humans, series reveals
- Malaysia Airlines stolen passport user was asylum seeker from Iran
Grocery rebate apps get money back, but some privacy experts worried about who can see consumers' shopping habits
Date 44 mins ago, Duration 2:05, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 7 hrs ago 1:02
Tooltip Information:NBA: Toronto 97 at Brooklyn 101Video by:Description: Deron Williams and Shaun Livingston each scored 18 points and an ailing Pierce hit a key late 3-pointer to lead the Brooklyn Nets to a 101-97 victory over the Atlantic Division-leading Toronto Raptors.Rating: 4Views: 654212
Date 22 hrs ago 0:37
Tooltip Information:RAW: Water main break floods McPhillips underpassVideo by:Description: A morning water main break flooded the McPhillips Street underpass and forced it to close to traffic.Rating: 2.83Views: 1192918
Date 16 hrs ago 2:32
Tooltip Information:Stigma of mental illness a 'disturbing' trend in workplaceVideo by:Description: A pair of Winnipeggers are sounding the alarm over how people with mental illness are treated in the workplace. CBC's Nelly Gonzalez reports in the first part of this five-part series.Rating: 3.33Views: 306891