Injured Stampede skydiver has broken leg, military confirms
A SkyHawks skydiver who was injured during a performance at the Calgary Stampede has a broken leg, the military has confirmed.
The parachutist was transported to Foothills Medical Centre after a rough landing at the Calgary Stampede shortly before 2 p.m. MT Sunday.
He was conscious and talking during transport to hospital. However, paramedics say due to the nature of his injuries, he is being classified as in serious, potentially life-threatening condition because they could progress.
Lt. (navy) Julie Harris with the SkyHawks says the diver "came in hard" but was talking and joking as paramedics treated him.
The Canadian Forces Parachute Team, also known as the SkyHawks, is Canada's only military parachute demonstration team.
The elite parachutists regularly give performances which bring the team in close proximity to build formations in the sky.
The injury occurred during the national anthem jump.
- Ukraine crisis: Russia, Ukraine trade blame for deadly gun attack
- Mounties on medical, stress leave fear new dismissal process
- Queen Elizabeth II releases grinning portrait for 88th birthday
- Why doesn't Easter have a fixed date?
- Pro-marijuana protesters hit Parliament Hill
- Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dead at 76
- Alistair MacLeod, acclaimed Canadian writer, dead at 77
- Ottawa toddler fights for his life after TV falls on him
- Bear gets head stuck in plastic jar in Greater Sudbury
- Space agency boss Walt Natynczyk says militarization not his goal
Russia has expressed outrage after at least three people were killed at a pro-Russian checkpoint in eastern Ukraine.
Date 33 mins ago, Duration 1:50, Views 0
Date 4 hrs ago 1:56
Tooltip Information:Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dead at 76Video by:Description: Former professional boxer and long-time advocate for the wrongly convicted died Sunday in TorontoRating: 3.44Views: 3868
Date 14-04-16 0:50
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: What happenedVideo by:Description: Early Tuesday morning five people were stabbed to death at a house party hosted by university students. Here's what we know so far about what happenedRating: 3.35Views: 7445
Date 3 hrs ago 1:18
Tooltip Information:Toddler's grandma speaks after TV falls on boyVideo by:Description: Frances Barbe says her grandson was reaching while everyone else was asleep.Rating: 4Views: 203