Jay Cochrane, tightrope 'Prince of the Air,' dies in Ontario
Canadian daredevil Jay Cochrane, shown in 2002 completing his tight-rope walk in Niagara Falls, Ont., has died of cancer, according to his music director. Don Heupel/Associated Press
Famed Canadian tightrope walker Jay Cochrane, whose high-wire exploits earned him the nickname "Prince of the Air," has passed away in St. Catharines, Ont.
He was 69 and died shortly after 7 p.m. ET Wednesday, according to his longtime publicist, Mark Phillips.
The six-time Guinness World Record holder skywalked all over the world. He was recently diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer, which would eventually take his life.
Cochrane was born in Saint John but grew up in the Ontario towns of North Bay and Sudbury, before eventually settling in Florida.
In one of Cochrane's most memorable feats, in 1972, he crossed a 91-metre-long wire at the Canadian National Exhibition 41 times back and forth, walking a total distance of more than 3.7 kilometres.
- Scotland referendum: Voters say 'No' to independence from U.K.
- B.C. teachers' strike is over: 86% vote 'yes' to accept deal
- Escape from Los Cabos: Some Canadians return, some stuck in hurricane zone
- 'Angelina Jolie effect' on breast cancer screening endures
- Congress approves U.S. support for Syrian rebels fighting against ISIS
- Florida shooting claims 8 lives, including 6 children
- Serena Vermeersch, 17, killed in apparent random attack
- Justin Trudeau hits back at 'old men' over abortion stance criticism
- Home Depot admits 56 million cards hit by security breach
- Ailing Rob Ford thanks supporters, endorses brother's mayoral bid
Challenges have arisen with some data missing after Ottawa bus-train crash.
Date 8 hrs ago, Duration 4:48, Views 722
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.51Views: 51935
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 2.62Views: 33119