Jay Cochrane, tightrope 'Prince of the Air,' dies in Ontario
Canadian daredevil Jay Cochrane, shown in 2002 completing his tight-rope walk in Niagara Falls, Ont., has died of cancer, according to his music director. Don Heupel/Associated Press
Famed Canadian tightrope walker Jay Cochrane, whose high-wire exploits earned him the nickname "Prince of the Air," has passed away in St. Catharines, Ont.
He was 69 and died shortly after 7 p.m. ET Wednesday, according to his longtime publicist, Mark Phillips.
The six-time Guinness World Record holder skywalked all over the world. He was recently diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer, which would eventually take his life.
Cochrane was born in Saint John but grew up in the Ontario towns of North Bay and Sudbury, before eventually settling in Florida.
In one of Cochrane's most memorable feats, in 1972, he crossed a 91-metre-long wire at the Canadian National Exhibition 41 times back and forth, walking a total distance of more than 3.7 kilometres.
- Lac-Mégantic train disaster: engineer's emergency calls released
- James Foley killing: ISIS remains 'long-term threat,' Chuck Hagel says
- 1st-degree murder charges laid in Montague double homicide
- John Baird's Twitter account prompts scrutiny of language commissioner
- Michael Brown shooting: Governor withdraws National Guard from Ferguson
- Hiker Julien Landry rescued days after fleeing up a tree to avoid bear
- Harper rebuffs renewed calls for murdered, missing women inquiry
- Ebola treatment of Kent Brantly, Nancy Writebol holds lessons for others
- Wikipedia's medical errors and one doctor's fight to correct them
- Jesse Clarke's death caused by armed conflict: accused's foster mom
Jennifer Kirby tops Canadians at 5-under.
Date 52 mins ago, Duration 2:13, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 13 hrs ago 1:58
Tooltip Information:Dementia victim takes her life after right-to-die pleaVideo by:Description: Gillian Bennett, 84, feared becoming burden on her family after dementia diagnosisRating: 2.53Views: 24495
Date 12 hrs ago 4:55
Tooltip Information:Montague double homicide arrestVideo by:Description: RCMP announce in a news conference they have made an arrest in a double homicide in eastern P.E.I.Rating: 4.25Views: 4491
Date 6 hrs ago 6:14
Tooltip Information:Identifying the British-accented killer of James FoleyVideo by:Description: Interview with Ghaffar Hussain, a director of a counter-extremism think tankRating: 4Views: 3271
Date 14-08-20 3:54
Tooltip Information:Reaction to American journalist's deathVideo by:Description: U.S. president expected to make a statement today, British PM concerned the ISIS spokesman on the execution video speaks with English accentRating: 4.84Views: 24592