cbc.ca (© Copyright: (C) Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, http://www.cbc.ca/aboutcbc/discover/termsofuse.html#Rss)
Updated: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 19:28:59 GMT | By CBC News, cbc.ca

Jayme Pasieka to face 1st-degree murder charges in Edmonton stabbings

Jaymen Paseika is shown in this undated police handout photo. Canadian Press

Jaymen Paseika is shown in this undated police handout photo. Canadian Press

A man arrested after a bloody stabbing rampage at an Edmonton grocery warehouse will be charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder.

Police say 29-year-old Jayme Pasieka will also face two charges of possessing an offensive weapon.

At a Saturday media briefing, police described Pasieka as being "cooperative" and "calm" after a three-hour manhunt that eventually led to his arrest.

"I can tell you that he has been very calm, very polite and he has been cooperative. I won't be able to go into details of what he has told us, or what he has talked about," said Staff-Sgt. Bill Clark.

A day earlier a man with a knife in each hand wearing a protective vest burst into the Loblaws Western Grocers warehouse just after 2 p.m. MT and started stabbing people throughout the facility.

Police said Pasieka worked at the warehouse and was on shift at the time of the attacks.

"I was at the crime scene and it covers a large area I would probably estimate probably a 50 to 70 yard area where this whole rampage took place," Clark said. "There are various different isles of food and things happened in a whole pile of different isles.  It was very random and very sporadic."

Two people were killed in the attack and four others were hurt, two seriously.

At Saturday's briefing, police identified the deceased as 50-year-old Fitzroy Harris and 41-year-old Thierno Bah.

"As can be expected the families are devastated that their loved ones would go to work and then never come home," Clark said

Without specifying police said one of the men was declared dead in an aisle at the warehouse and the other died in an ambulance.

One of the injured remained in serious condition in hospital but their condition has been stabilized and they're expected to recover.

Search for weapons

Friends confirmed to CBC Edmonton that Bah was a married father of four who recently moved to the city from Montreal with his family.

A member of the Guinean community, Bah had 30 minutes left in his shift when he was killed.

"We just.....we've.....we are in shock.  We are shocked about what's happened," said a family friend, who also coincidental named Theirno Gando Bah."This crime should not happen.  We need justice for that.  We need explanation of what happened. This is not what we came for in Canada."

Harris' daughter Patricia said her dad will be missed by the family and those who knew he affectionately as Spragga.

"Music was his life, and reggae music was his soul," she said. "Those who knew him, will do so for his knowledge of music and his ability to be a DJ."

The attacker fled the scene and was arrested without incident three hours later when his vehicle was spotted by an alert citizen.

The weapons used in the attack have not been found, police say, and they have not said what the motive was for the attack.

Police said they conducted over 60 interviews on Friday.

more video