Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau gives his closing comments to media at the federal Liberal summer caucus meeting in Edmonton on Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson The Canadian Press
Ottawa police say no charges are going to be laid after Justin Trudeau's home was entered into while his family slept earlier this month.
The suspect turned himself in to police after investigators released surveillance video footage shot in Trudeau's neighbourhood.
The incident occurred sometime overnight from Aug. 15-16 while Trudeau was out of town.
"A thorough investigation has determined no charges should be laid," Ottawa police said in a media release issued Tuesday morning. "A satisfactory amount of evidence shows the person entered the wrong home in error."
The individual has been "formally cautioned" by police, the release added, and the case is now closed.
A press conference is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. ET.
Note left behind saying family should lock door
In the past month, five break-ins have been reported in the Rockcliffe Park neighbourhood where Trudeau lives.
His family's case was the only one in which nothing was stolen and a note was left behind.
When officers went to the back door of the home, they found a letter purportedly left by the vandals, a police source told CBC News. The letter was set on five or six knives owned by the family that had been laid out on the floor, the source said.
The letter stated items could have been stolen but weren’t, and that the family should lock the home's doors in the future.
NDP foreign affairs critic Paul Dewar, Liberal foreign affairs critic Marc Garneau and James Bezan, parliamentary secretary to the defence minister, di... More NDP foreign affairs critic Paul Dewar, Liberal foreign affairs critic Marc Garneau and James Bezan, parliamentary secretary to the defence minister, discuss how Canada should respond to ISIS ID:
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 15:17, Views 0