Lac-Mégantic comes together for re-opening of beloved bar
Thousands of people gathered in Lac-Mégantic, Que., last night for the reopening of Musi-Café — a bar and restaurant that was located at the centre of town before the July 6 catastrophe.
The popular local bar was incinerated in the train derailment and ensuing explosions. Many of the 47 people who died in the catastrophe were patrons or staff at Musi-Café.
Friday was the first in a series of free concerts being held at the relocated bar, which is set up under a tent in a local parking lot.
Quebec singer-songwriter Fred Pellerin opened to a crowd of fans, many lighting candles near the stage in memory of the victims.
Resident Dawn Bramadat says Musi-Café was a cultural centre for the community.
"It was a place, first of all, where musicians could go … They could go and be heard and try out their stuff," he said.
"So it's so incredible that all these wonderful, wonderful performers from around the province are coming and donating their time. It really touches all of us."
- Veterans groups say Ottawa spending too much remembering old wars
- Saint Mary's University frosh chant: SMU changes to start of school
- 'Heavy' pot smoker wins trafficking-related case on personal use defence
- Cougar killed after attack on teen hiker in Waterton Park
- Missing women inquiry tops agenda for premiers, aboriginal leaders
- N.L. fossil shows earliest evidence ever of animals with muscles
- Arizona gun instructor dead after 9-year-old accidentally shoots him
- Tories tout 'traditional family values' in message to party members
- Ukraine crisis: Government-held town hit by rebel shells
- Ebola outbreak: Canadians pulled from Sierra Leone as precaution
Opera Lyra fired one of its singers who insulted a man's nails on Facebook.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:43, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-24 3:24
Tooltip Information:Earthquake hits Napa ValleyVideo by:Description: Thousands are left without power after a magnitude 6 earthquake, the strongest to his the region since 1989Rating: 3.13Views: 87095
Date 14-08-26 1:24
Tooltip Information:Fatal shooting outside nightclubVideo by:Description: A woman died and a man was sent to hospital after an early morning shooting on Wellington Street.Rating: 2.76Views: 6683