Lac-Mégantic survivors start receiving compensation
The Quebec government is doling out the first portion of compensation for the residents of Lac-Mégantic.
Starting today residents whose homes were evacuated after a train derailed and blew up will be eligible for $1,000.
The Quebec government has promised a three-tiered, $60-million plan.
- Read a timeline of the Lac-Mégantic disaster
It includes $25 million for urgent relief, $25 million for rebuilding the devastated downtown core, and $10 million for longer-term economic aid.
Two more bodies were pulled from the rubble on Sunday, bringing the official death toll to 35.
Fifteen people remain missing and are presumed dead.
Authorities demolished two buildings Sunday because they were said to be unstable and posed a threat to crews working there.
Provincial police say a heat wave has added another complication to crews sifting through the wreckage.
They say crews must be replaced every 20 minutes because they have to wear heavy equipment and masks in temperatures as high as 50 C.
- Philippines death toll surpasses 3,600 as rebuilding begins
- Typhoon Haiyan relief efforts defended by Philippine government
- Philippines homeless from typhoon hits 1.9 million
- Philippines typhoon aftermath brightens in Roxas City
- Typhoon Haiyan: Desperation triggers anarchy in storm-devastated areas
- Typhoon Haiyan: Aid begins trickling into desperate Philippines communities
- Typhoon Haiyan: A choice to either 'distribute food or collect bodies'
- Typhoon Haiyan: 'Forgotten' survivors tell of desperate hunt for food
- Typhoon Haiyan death toll surpasses 3,600 in Philippines
- Typhoon-hit Philippines struggling to provide medical care, food
Kim Jong-un's uncle Jang Song Thaek charged with planning coup in Pyongyang
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 3:21, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 13-12-11 0:37
Tooltip Information:Michigan Stadium transforms into an ice rinkVideo by:Description: Timelapse of The Big House as it morphs into an NHL rink for the Winter Classic on New Years Day where the Maples Leafs will face off against the Red Wings.Rating: 2.83Views: 15878