Lion attack injures Montreal woman at South African refuge
An 18-year-old Montreal woman is recovering after she was attacked by a lion at a wild animal rehabilitation centre in South Africa.
"This young lady sustained multiple bites to her legs and to her lower body," said Robyn Baard, client services manager at Medi-Clinic Nelspruit, where the woman was treated.
"I can't go into too much detail about that, but she is certainly not in any critical condition."
Baard identified the woman as Lauren Fagen. She was brought to the clinic Monday.
"We're happy to say that she's upbeat, and we're expecting one of her parents to arrive in South Africa soon," she said.
"At this stage, she is not in any danger."
According to The Canadian Press, the five-year-old lion grabbed the young woman's leg and tried to drag her into the cage.
Fagen is a volunteer at the Moholoholo rehabilitation centre, which cares for wild animals that are injured or orphaned.
The centre is located in the country's northeast, near Pretoria.
With files from The Canadian Press
- Lac-Mégantic train disaster: engineer's emergency calls released
- James Foley killing: ISIS remains 'long-term threat,' Chuck Hagel says
- 1st-degree murder charges laid in Montague double homicide
- John Baird's Twitter account prompts scrutiny of language commissioner
- Michael Brown shooting: Governor withdraws National Guard from Ferguson
- Hiker Julien Landry rescued days after fleeing up a tree to avoid bear
- Harper rebuffs renewed calls for murdered, missing women inquiry
- Ebola treatment of Kent Brantly, Nancy Writebol holds lessons for others
- Wikipedia's medical errors and one doctor's fight to correct them
- Jesse Clarke's death caused by armed conflict: accused's foster mom
Jennifer Kirby tops Canadians at 5-under.
Date 52 mins ago, Duration 2:13, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 13 hrs ago 1:58
Tooltip Information:Dementia victim takes her life after right-to-die pleaVideo by:Description: Gillian Bennett, 84, feared becoming burden on her family after dementia diagnosisRating: 2.53Views: 24495
Date 12 hrs ago 4:55
Tooltip Information:Montague double homicide arrestVideo by:Description: RCMP announce in a news conference they have made an arrest in a double homicide in eastern P.E.I.Rating: 4.25Views: 4491
Date 6 hrs ago 6:14
Tooltip Information:Identifying the British-accented killer of James FoleyVideo by:Description: Interview with Ghaffar Hussain, a director of a counter-extremism think tankRating: 4Views: 3271
Date 14-08-20 3:54
Tooltip Information:Reaction to American journalist's deathVideo by:Description: U.S. president expected to make a statement today, British PM concerned the ISIS spokesman on the execution video speaks with English accentRating: 4.84Views: 24592