Lufthansa cancels 900 flights due to strike
Daniel Roland/Associated Press
Lufthansa jets are seen at the airport in Frankfurt. Lufthansa pilots walked off their jobs Monday to protest job-security issues but later decided to postpone the walkout. (Daniel Roland/Associated Press)
Germany's Lufthansa says it has cancelled almost 900 domestic and intercontinental flights on the first day of a three-day strike by the pilots' union.
Airline spokeswoman Barbara Schaedler said that up to 900 flights were cancelled for Wednesday and that it expects to cancel about 3,800 flights altogether, affecting more than 425,000 passengers.
Schaedler said the airline had done whatever it could to offer alternative travel arrangements for its passengers and rebooked many customers on trains or different airlines.
The pilots' union Cockpit had called for the strike for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in a long-running pay dispute.
- Dozens of planes grounded in German pilot strike
- Pilots ramp up pressure on Lufthansa with Friday strike threat
- Germanwings pilots strike as Lufthansa row rumbles on
- Lufthansa pilots' union threatens new strikes
- Germanwings pilots union plans strike for Friday
- Frequent flyer schemes revamped to drive profits in tough times for airlines
- Charlottetown Airport warns travellers to arrive early
- WWII bomb found near Frankfurt airport
- A guide for fliers worried about Ebola outbreak
Iraqi forces have reached the besieged town of Amerli in northern Iraq, where thousands have been trapped by jihadists, military officials say.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 2:04, Views 0
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.18Views: 102452
Date 11 hrs ago 2:14
Tooltip Information:Zaccheus Jackson, 36, dies in train accidentVideo by:Description: Community mourns much-loved and admired Vancouver poet and spoken word artistRating: 5Views: 473