Lufthansa cancels 900 flights due to strike
Daniel Roland/Associated Press
Lufthansa jets are seen at the airport in Frankfurt. Lufthansa pilots walked off their jobs Monday to protest job-security issues but later decided to postpone the walkout. (Daniel Roland/Associated Press)
Germany's Lufthansa says it has cancelled almost 900 domestic and intercontinental flights on the first day of a three-day strike by the pilots' union.
Airline spokeswoman Barbara Schaedler said that up to 900 flights were cancelled for Wednesday and that it expects to cancel about 3,800 flights altogether, affecting more than 425,000 passengers.
Schaedler said the airline had done whatever it could to offer alternative travel arrangements for its passengers and rebooked many customers on trains or different airlines.
The pilots' union Cockpit had called for the strike for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in a long-running pay dispute.
- Ebola-infected WHO scientist in Sierra Leone goes to Germany, Canadians pulled
- NHL expansion plans in the works: reports
- Climate change impacts 'might already be considered dangerous'
- Vancouver real estate titles reveal city's racist history
- Royal baby law stands as court dismisses Catholic challenge
- Cougar killed after attack on teen hiker in Waterton Park
- Iceland volcano rocked by new quakes, stirring eruption fears
- Saint Mary's University frosh chant: SMU changes to start of school
- Douglas McAuthur McCain, American militant, killed in Syria, U.S. says
- Veterans groups say Ottawa spending too much remembering old wars
A 56-year-old Indian woman is recovering in hospital after killing a leopard that attacked her as she tended to her fields. Duration: 00:46
Date 29 mins ago, Duration 0:46, Views 0
Video by: AFP
Date 14-08-24 3:24
Tooltip Information:Earthquake hits Napa ValleyVideo by:Description: Thousands are left without power after a magnitude 6 earthquake, the strongest to his the region since 1989Rating: 3.13Views: 84977
Date 14-08-26 1:24
Tooltip Information:Fatal shooting outside nightclubVideo by:Description: A woman died and a man was sent to hospital after an early morning shooting on Wellington Street.Rating: 2.76Views: 6683