An Edmonton judge ordered Best Gore website owner Mark Marek be released on bail Thursday morning after a brief court hearing.
Marek, 38, will be released on $7,500 cash bail on conditions he not access the internet and remain in Alberta.
Mark Marek appeared in court through closed-circuit television from the Edmonton Remand Centre wearing a bright orange jumpsuit, but looking calm and attentive.
While Marek admitted he posted the video allegedly showing Luka Magnotta stabbing and dismembering Jun Lin in May 2012, a court appointed lawyer said Marek only posted the video "in the public interest — to see if it was real or fake."
Guy Doyon also told Judge Elizabeth Johnson that Marek intends "to vigorously defend his actions here."
However the Crown prosecutor told the judge that Marek may be planning to flee the country, saying Marek emptied his bank account of $18,000 after he was interviewed by police earlier this week.
Marek spent the last six months in Asia and no longer has a fixed address in Edmonton.
George ordered that Marek be released, and that he reappear in court on August 1.
Marek was arrested this week and charged with corrupting morals.
The charge came after a year-long investigation into his website, which hosted a video allegedly showing a Montreal man, Luka Magnotta, stabbing and dismembering Jun Lin, a 33-year-old Chinese national.
With files from CBC's Janice Johnston
Although the results of the elections are to be announced on Friday afternoon, Abdelaziz Bouteflika's supporters took to the streets of the capital Alg... More Although the results of the elections are to be announced on Friday afternoon, Abdelaziz Bouteflika's supporters took to the streets of the capital Algiers to celebrate, while Bouteflika's main rival Ali Benflis has cried fraud. Duration: 1:01
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:00, Views 16