cbc.ca (© Copyright: (C) Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, http://www.cbc.ca/aboutcbc/discover/termsofuse.html#Rss)
Updated: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 20:33:17 GMT | By CBC News, cbc.ca

Man charged in assault on Rob Ford campaign staffer



An election sign is seen outside the campaign headquarters of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford on July 29, 2014. CBC

An election sign is seen outside the campaign headquarters of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford on July 29, 2014. CBC

A 43-year-old man has been charged in connection with an alleged assault at Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s campaign office.

Police were called around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday about an incident inside the mayor’s campaign headquarters, located at 2083 Lawrence Ave. E.

According to Staff Sgt. Mitch Rouette with Toronto police’s 41 Division, a man tried to enter the office three times and was asked to leave.

An altercation arose between the visitor and a Ford campaign staffer.

Police said they don't know whether the staffer was hurt, but noted the accused sustained minor injuries.

Officers arrested a 43-year-old man outside the office and charged him with assault, Rouette said. 

He said the accused had been carrying a camera before the assault.

Police are looking at his footage as well as surveillance video from the office as part of the investigation, Rouette said. 

The arrest comes less than two months before Toronto's mayoral election and less than one month after the city's controversial mayor was the target of a bomb threat. 

On Aug. 11, police toured a bomb-sniffing dog through the Ford office at city hall after he received a threatening email.

The message, Ford said, warned that he and his brother had 24 hours to resign from council, or else "city hall will blow."

Police determined the bomb threat to be a hoax. 

Correction : Police originally gave CBC News an incorrect age for the accused. (Sep 03, 2014 8:27 PM)

more video