Calgary mother Meredith Borowiec was charged with attempted murder after a newborn baby was found alive in a dumpster outside her home. Today she found guilty of infanticide in the deaths of two other babies. CBC
Meredith Borowiec, who told police she left three of her newborns in dumpsters, was found guilty today in a Calgary court on two counts of infanticide.
Charges were laid against Borowiec, who is in her early 30s, after a baby was found alive in a dumpster near her house in 2010. She was charged with attempted murder, which is scheduled to head to court in April.
While being interrogated by police, it was discovered that she had given birth twice before in 2008 and 2009.
Each time, Borowiec says she wrapped the baby in a towel, placed it in a garbage bag and took it out to a dumpster.
Their bodies have never been found.
She had been charged with two counts of second-degree murder in relation to the deaths.
Court of Queen's Bench Justice Peter McIntyre said Tuesday there was evidence to suggest the mother's mind was disturbed after giving birth, so a murder conviction wasn't warranted.
"Justice McIntyre gave a very well-reasoned decision and the long and short of it is Ms. Borowiec was convicted of wilfully killing two newborns," said Crown prosecutor Jayme Williams.
"It's a difficult case, there were no bodies found and we were going on the admissions that she made to police."
Borowiec said in all three cases she hid the pregnancy from her longtime partner.
In July 2012, while in custody at the Southern Alberta Forensic Psychiatric Centre, Borowiec gave birth to a fourth child. The baby boy was given up for adoption.
Borowiec will remain on bail pending sentencing. She faces a maximum sentence of five years for each count of infanticide.
The United States is drawing up fresh sanctions against Russia for its role in fuelling the crisis in Ukraine, top US diplomat John Kerry warned Tuesda... More The United States is drawing up fresh sanctions against Russia for its role in fuelling the crisis in Ukraine, top US diplomat John Kerry warned Tuesday. Duration: 00:35
Date 9 mins ago, Duration 0:34, Views 0