AP Photo/Lee Jin-man
A woman holds an umbrella against the strong wind and rain caused by Typhoon Sanba in Seoul, South Korea, Monday, Sept. 17, 2012. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man) The Associated Press
A series of severe thunderstorm warnings have ended in southern Ontario, though much of the region remains under wind warnings on Sunday evening.
A special weather statement from Environment Canada says that a cold front is moving through southwestern Ontario on Sunday night, bringing "very strong and gusty" southwesterly winds with it.
Winds of 50 km/h to 70 km/h are expected, though some areas close to the Great Lakes could be hit with even stronger winds.
As of mid-afternoon on Sunday, Environment Canada had issued wind warnings for the following areas:
- Windsor — Leamington — Essex County.
- Chatham-Kent — Rondeau Park.
- Sarnia — Petrolia — Western Lambton County.
- Watford — Pinery Park — Eastern Lambton County.
- Rodney — Shedden — Western Elgin County.
- St. Thomas — Aylmer — Eastern Elgin County.
- Strathroy — Komoka — Western Middlesex County.
- London — Parkhill — Eastern Middlesex County.
- Stratford — Mitchell — Southern Perth County.
- Goderich — Bluewater — Southern Huron County.
- Listowel — Milverton — Northern Perth County.
- Wingham — Blyth — Northern Huron County.
- Brantford — County of Brant.
- Woodstock — Tillsonburg — Oxford County.
- Simcoe — Delhi – Norfolk.
- Kitchener — Cambridge — Region of Waterloo.
- Guelph — Erin — Southern Wellington County.
- Mount Forest — Arthur — Northern Wellington County.
- City of Hamilton.
- Dunnville — Caledonia — Haldimand.
- Niagara Falls — Welland — Southern Niagara Region.
- St. Catharines — Grimsby — Northern Niagara Region.
- Hanover — Dundalk — Southern Grey County.
- Saugeen Shores — Kincardine — Southern Bruce County.
- Owen Sound — Blue Mountains — Northern Grey County.
- Bruce Peninsula — Sauble Beach — Tobermory.
- Orangeville — Grand Valley — Southern Dufferin County.
- Shelburne — Mansfield — Northern Dufferin County.
- Innisfil — New Tecumseth — Angus.
- Barrie — Collingwood — Hillsdale.
- Orillia — Lagoon City — Washago.
- Midland — Coldwater — Orr Lake.
- Burlington — Oakville.
- Halton Hills — Milton.
- Mississauga — Brampton.
- City of Toronto.
- Vaughan — Richmond Hill — Markham.
- Pickering — Oshawa — Southern Durham Region.
- Newmarket — Georgina — Northern York Region.
- Uxbridge — Beaverton — Northern Durham Region.
- Peterborough City — Lakefield — Southern Peterborough County.
- Lindsay — Southern Kawartha Lakes.
- Apsley — Woodview — Northern Peterborough County.
- Fenelon Falls — Balsam Lake Park — Northern Kawartha Lakes.
- Cobourg — Colborne — Western Northumberland County.
- Belleville — Quinte West — Eastern Northumberland County.
- Picton — Sandbanks Park.
- Napanee — Consecon.
- Kingston — Odessa.
- Bracebridge — Gravenhurst.
- Port Carling — Port Severn.
- Town of Parry Sound — Rosseau — Killbear Park.
- Huntsville — Baysville.
- Bayfield Inlet — Dunchurch.
- South River — Burk's Falls.
Environment Canada had warned that thunderstorms could form along the edge of the cold front as it moved across the province.
Severe thunderstorm warnings had been issued for more than three dozen southern Ontario communities on Sunday afternoon or evening, though all were ended after 8 p.m. ET.
Environment Canada also ended a number of related severe thunderstorm watches on Sunday evening.