New dinosaur, cousin of T. rex, discovered in Arctic
Nanuqsaurus hoglundi is a new tyrannosaur discovered in the Arctic Illustration by Karen Carr
Scientists have discovered a new species of dinosaur that roamed the Arctic 70 million years ago.
Nanuqsaurus hoglundi is a tiny cousin of the Tyrannosaurus rex that lived in northern Alaska, close to the Yukon border on the Beaufort Sea.
Tony Fiorillo of the Perot Museum of Nature and Science in Texas says the fossil fragments of the skull and jaw were found in what is known as the Prince Creek Formation.
Fiorillo says the tiny tyrranosaur was about half the size of the T. rex, Its skull was about 64 centimetres long and it stood less than three metres high.
His team believes the creature was smaller because it had to adapt to the arctic climate of the day, which was warmer and more heavily forested in the Cretaceous period.
The finding is published in the latest edition of the scientific journal PLOS ONE.
- Israel-Gaza conflict: Hamas kills 11 suspected informers for Israel
- Michael Brown shooting: How lessons from past riots may help Ferguson heal
- Ukraine crisis: Russian aid convoy drives into Ukraine
- Lac-Mégantic train disaster: engineer's emergency calls released
- Wearable camera companies stand to profit from Ferguson
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Bodies of victims arrive in Kuala Lumpur
- James Foley killing: ISIS remains 'long-term threat,' Chuck Hagel says
- 1st-degree murder charges laid in Montague double homicide
- John Baird's Twitter account prompts scrutiny of language commissioner
- Egypt tour bus crash kills 33 in South Sinai
Heavy rain is delaying a search for more than 50 people believed buried under a landslide on the edge of the Japanese city of Hiroshima.
Date 39 mins ago, Duration 1:59, Views 0
Date 2 hrs ago 1:58
Tooltip Information:Dementia victim takes her life after right-to-die pleaVideo by:Description: Gillian Bennett, 84, feared becoming burden on her family after dementia diagnosisRating: 4Views: 199
Date 4 hrs ago 2:57
Tooltip Information:Lac-Mégantic phone conversationsVideo by:Description: CBC News has obtained recorded conversations between the train engineer and rail company offices the night of the deadly rail disasterRating: 4Views: 12
Date 14-08-20 3:54
Tooltip Information:Reaction to American journalist's deathVideo by:Description: U.S. president expected to make a statement today, British PM concerned the ISIS spokesman on the execution video speaks with English accentRating: 4.52Views: 25508