New dinosaur, cousin of T. rex, discovered in Arctic
Nanuqsaurus hoglundi is a new tyrannosaur discovered in the Arctic Illustration by Karen Carr
Scientists have discovered a new species of dinosaur that roamed the Arctic 70 million years ago.
Nanuqsaurus hoglundi is a tiny cousin of the Tyrannosaurus rex that lived in northern Alaska, close to the Yukon border on the Beaufort Sea.
Tony Fiorillo of the Perot Museum of Nature and Science in Texas says the fossil fragments of the skull and jaw were found in what is known as the Prince Creek Formation.
Fiorillo says the tiny tyrranosaur was about half the size of the T. rex, Its skull was about 64 centimetres long and it stood less than three metres high.
His team believes the creature was smaller because it had to adapt to the arctic climate of the day, which was warmer and more heavily forested in the Cretaceous period.
The finding is published in the latest edition of the scientific journal PLOS ONE.
- Don Frigo shooting: Boris Panovski arrested, charged with murder
- Ottawa blocks Canadian from getting Syrian husband out of danger
- Downsizing: When hitting the road hurts like hell
- New Brunswick election 2014: Voters head to the polls today
- ISIS audio urges attacks on 'unbelievers' in Canada
- High winds in Nova Scotia leave 50,000 in the dark
- Justin Trudeau's abortion policy keeps people talking
- Unpaid academic internships called exploitation by students
- No word on when Mayor Rob Ford will exit hospital
- Policing costs continue to climb despite falling crime: study
Jonathan Galgay speaks with the CBC's Mark Quinn
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 1:43, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.72Views: 96804
Date 14-09-18 2:20
Tooltip Information:Homeowner seeks repayment for construction damagesVideo by:Description: Bill Shotyk says the company working on a home next door to his is refusing for pay for damage to his property.Rating: 2.84Views: 11486
Date 21 hrs ago 1:33
Tooltip Information:Scotland minister says voters were 'misled and tricked'Video by:Description: Alex Salmond, Scotland's first minister, weighed in on the issue just days after the Yes side was defeatedRating: 5Views: 1345
Date 17 hrs ago 4:21
Tooltip Information:World climate change ralliesVideo by:Description: CBC's Paul Hunter reports from NYC, where organizers say at least 100,000 people are taking part in a march through ManhattanRating: 2.65Views: 5240