New Jersey mall shooting suspect found dead
AP Photo/Julio Cortez
An official walks with a semi-automatic weapon on the parking lot of Garden State Plaza Mall following reports of a shooter, Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2013, in Paramus, N.J. Hundreds of law enforcement officers converged on the mall Monday night after witnesses said multiple shots were fired there. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez) Julio Cortez/The Associated Press
Authorities say a man suspected of firing multiple shots and causing a lockdown at New Jersey's largest shopping mall has been found dead of a self-inflicted wound.
Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli says the body of 20-year-old Richard Shoop of Teaneck was found in a back area of the Garden State Plaza mall in Paramus early Tuesday. He says Shoop killed himself with the same weapon he used at the mall and that a note has been found.
There were no other injuries.
Police received reports of a man who fired multiple shots shortly before the mall's 9:30 p.m. closing time on Monday, sending customers and employees rushing for the exits and hiding places.
The mall, which has more than 270 stores, is located in Bergen County, about 25 kilometres northwest of Manhattan.
- South Korea ferry captain may have delayed evacuation
- Amanda Todd case: RCMP announce 5 charges against Dutch citizen
- Matthew de Grood's father: 'Just like you, we struggle to understand what happened'
- Rob Ford launches re-election bid: 'I won't back down'
- South Korea ferry: The 'daunting task' of rescuing survivors
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel-winning author, dead at 87
- Mount Everest avalanche kills 6 Nepalese guides
- Vote on Kate's dresses from royal tour of Australia, New Zealand
- Portland empties 144 million-litre water reservoir after teen pees in it
- Canada to send 6 CF-18s for NATO operation in Eastern Europe
Sharks too strong for Kings in Game 1.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:26, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 20 hrs ago 1:25
Tooltip Information:McDonald's foreign workers call it 'slavery'Video by:Description: Belizian temporary workers docked more pay for rent in corporate apartment than the cost incurred by McDonald'sRating: 3.75Views: 21076
Date 14-04-17 2:06
Tooltip Information:Student arrested in Heartbleed-related theftVideo by:Description: RCMP have arrested a 19-year-old London, Ont., man in connection with the theft of 900 social insurance numbersRating: 3.6Views: 12217