New Zealand rocked by 6.9-magnitude earthquake
The New Zealand capital Wellington was rattled by a strong magnitude 6.9 earthquake on Sunday that broke water mains, smashed windows and downed power lines.
Wellington Police Inspector Marty Parker said there had been minor structural damage that had left parts of the city without power. There have been no reports of injury and no tsunami.
The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake struck under the Cook Strait 57 kilometres southwest of Wellington. It was 10 kilometres underground.
The quake could be felt hundreds of kilometers away in the center of New Zealand's North Island.
Parker said the quake struck near nightfall. A more complete picture of the damage would emerge in the morning, he said.
New Zealand is part of the so-called Pacific "Ring of Fire" that receives regular seismic activity. A severe earthquake in the city of Christchurch in 2011 killed 185 people and destroyed much of the city's downtown.
With files from Reuters
- Scotland referendum: No to independence from U.K., voters decide
- B.C. teachers' strike is over: 86% vote 'yes' to accept deal
- Escape from Los Cabos: Some Canadians return, some stuck in hurricane zone
- Congress approves U.S. support for Syrian rebels fighting against ISIS
- 'Angelina Jolie effect' on breast cancer screening endures
- Florida shooting claims 8 lives, including 6 children
- Li Na forced to retire due to recurring knee injuries
- Serena Vermeersch, 17, killed in apparent random attack
- Justin Trudeau hits back at 'old men' over abortion stance criticism
- Home Depot admits 56 million cards hit by security breach
Challenges have arisen with some data missing after Ottawa bus-train crash.
Date 6 hrs ago, Duration 4:48, Views 584
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.32Views: 39271
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 2.68Views: 28427