New Zealand rocked by 6.9-magnitude earthquake
The New Zealand capital Wellington was rattled by a strong magnitude 6.9 earthquake on Sunday that broke water mains, smashed windows and downed power lines.
Wellington Police Inspector Marty Parker said there had been minor structural damage that had left parts of the city without power. There have been no reports of injury and no tsunami.
The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake struck under the Cook Strait 57 kilometres southwest of Wellington. It was 10 kilometres underground.
The quake could be felt hundreds of kilometers away in the center of New Zealand's North Island.
Parker said the quake struck near nightfall. A more complete picture of the damage would emerge in the morning, he said.
New Zealand is part of the so-called Pacific "Ring of Fire" that receives regular seismic activity. A severe earthquake in the city of Christchurch in 2011 killed 185 people and destroyed much of the city's downtown.
With files from Reuters
- 1 dead, 17 injured after New York City building collapse: NYPD
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 search marked by 'confusion'
- Brian McKeever falls, gets up, wins Paralympic gold
- Canadian military involvement in Afghanistan formally ends
- Olivia Chow resigns as MP, will launch Toronto mayoral bid tomorrow
- Mysterious Windsor hum gets Ottawa review
- Officer lied about Robert Dziekanski's Taser death, Crown argues
- Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin's death recounted by cameraman
- Winter storm warnings for Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic provinces
- Terry Trafford's body found in Michigan
U.S. Congress wants to know what the carmaker knew about compact car defects and when, as 1.6 million cars recalled
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 2:16, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 21 hrs ago 3:11
Tooltip Information:Barack Obama spars with Zach Galifianakis over health careVideo by:Description: U.S. president gets the 'Between Two Ferns' treatmentRating: 4.59Views: 1019636
Date 19 hrs ago 2:39
Tooltip Information:Hearing Voices workshop gives insight into schizophreniaVideo by:Description: Demand is growing in Winnipeg for a workshop that helps people understand what it's like to live with a mental illness like schizophrenia.Rating: 4.4Views: 3744
Date 12 hrs ago 1:25
Tooltip Information:Roof of Winnipeg woman's garage collapses under weight of snowVideo by:Description: A Winnipeg homeowner is urging others to clear snow from the roofs of their homes, after the roof of her garage collapsed under the weight of snow.Rating: 3.4Views: 1167
Date 14-03-11 0:56
Tooltip Information:RAW: Extremely long traffic lineup in St. BonifaceVideo by:Description: Drivers are facing extremely long lineups and delays along Archibald Street as crews work to repair a water main.Rating: 5Views: 640703