New Zeland rocked by 6.9-magnitude earthquake
An earthquake of magnitude 6.9 struck New Zealand at around 1:20 ET on Sunday, the U.S. Geological Survey's monitoring service reported.
Water mains were broken, windows were smashed and power lines fell in Wellington, the capital city.
This is the second time in three days powerful quakes have shaken the country.
The epicentre of the quake was between the north and south islands in the Cook Strait, 57 kilometres southwest off the coast of Wellington, and 10 kilometres under the water.
There were no immediate reports of injuries after the tremors. And, there were no tsunami warnings issued.
Aftershocks continue to rattle the area
With files from Reuters
- ISIS militants accused of ethnic cleansing in Iraq
- Jennifer Lawrence photo hack: Attention turns to FBI, Apple
- B.C. teachers' strike: No classes on what is supposed to be 1st day of school
- Gabriel Dion and Saint-Sulpice bar owner make amends
- Uzi gun death accident exposes debate about children and guns
- 'Bias' concerns led tax agency to target left-leaning think-tank
- Uber taxi app banned in Germany
- 'Space sex geckos' found dead upon return to Earth, Russia says
- Back-to-school sales sluggish, expected to extend into September
- Tony Accurso set to testify at Quebec corruption inquiry
After falling at the first hurdle in the World Cup in Brazil there are calls for changes in football in Cameroon. Duration: 00:58
Date 23 mins ago, Duration 0:57, Views 0
Video by: AFP
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.19Views: 106158
Date 11 hrs ago 4:10
Tooltip Information:Ukraine's growing turmoilVideo by:Description: NATO says it needs to create a rapid reaction force to respond to Russian aggression against any of its members, as well as UkraineRating: 5Views: 280