Nigeria ferry capsizes, killing dozens
Emergency officials in Nigeria say that dozens were killed and another 200 people are still missing after a ferry capsized in the Niger River. Google Maps
A ferry carrying traders and their goods broke up in stormy weather on the Niger River, drowning as many as 42 people as rescuers search for 200 missing victims, a Nigerian emergency official said Saturday.
Spokesman Ibrahim Farinloye of the National Emergency Management Agency told The Associated Press the ferry was carrying traders to a weekly market at Malali village when the storm erupted Friday afternoon.
He said Saturday that it was impossible to say how many people died or were on the boat. But he said initial indications were that 42 had drowned and about 200 passengers were missing.
The official News Agency of Nigeria reported 15 bodies had been recovered and buried alongside the river.
Nigeria's rainy season often brings violent storms that can cause disasters in a country where there is little maintenance and corruption blights the construction of everything from buildings and boats to roads and dams.
- Ukraine crisis: Obama rules out military action
- B.C. teachers' strike: latest from meeting with mediator Vince Ready
- Tour bus crashes on Coquihalla Highway south of Merritt, B.C.
- Rob Ford threatened teacher, had students roll in goose dung: documents
- Saskatoon police release dramatic video of rescue
- Sunwing Flight 656: Melana Muzikante, Lilia Ratmanski released on bail
- Stephen Fearing wages Twitter war after Air Canada loses guitar
- Lac-Mégantic accused want charges dropped
- Premiers want more funds for health, infrastructure from Ottawa
- Peeping drone 'an invasion of privacy,' B.C. homeowner says
Four baby dragons are now on display at the Calgary Zoo - komodo dragons, that is.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:42, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-24 3:24
Tooltip Information:Earthquake hits Napa ValleyVideo by:Description: Thousands are left without power after a magnitude 6 earthquake, the strongest to his the region since 1989Rating: 3.15Views: 131069
Date 14-08-27 0:30
Tooltip Information:Arizona gun instructor gives fatal Uzi lessonVideo by:Description: Images of the lesson stop just before 9-year-old accidentally shoots himRating: 2.33Views: 23937
Date 6 hrs ago 3:06
Tooltip Information:Sunwing Flight 656: 2 women face chargesVideo by:Description: Flight escorted to Toronto by military planes. Police say Melana Muzikante, Lilia Ratmanski made threatening commentsRating: 4Views: 3281
Date 5 hrs ago 0:37
Tooltip Information:ISIS kills 250 Syrian soldiers: videoVideo by:Description: Images CBC shows are the march of prisoners - before the apparent killing of large numbers of Syria's soldiersRating: 4Views: 707