Northern Iranian city rocked by big explosion
The northern Iranian city of Qazvin, about 130 kilometres west of Tehran, was rocked by a heavy explosion on Tuesday. Nearly 50 people were reported injured so far. (Google Maps)
A heavy explosion rocked an industrial city in northern Iran on Tuesday, state television said, saying that no one has been reported killed so far.
It cited Governor Saeed Mirbaha as saying there were no deaths in the explosion, but firemen and rescue workers have intensified efforts to control a raging fire that has covered the sky in a large part of Qazvin city.
The city's emergency department said two rescuers had been badly injured from smoke inhalation.
Earlier, the semi-official Fars news agency said the explosion happened in a wood and oil storage facility, leaving nearly 50 people injured — many in serious condition. Many cargo depots are located in the city, some 130 kilometres west of the capital, Tehran.
Fars also said police have closed off roads to the area where the explosion took place, in an old neighbourhood.
More to come
- ISIS atrocities in Iraq: What's Canada's next move?
- Russian aid convoy begins leaving Ukraine
- Kevin Love trade: Andrew Wiggins rare No. 1 pick
- James Moore 'impatient' with provincial trade barriers
- Wynne slams Harper over missing, murdered aboriginal women comments
- Saskatoon berry gets name change in U.S.
- Saskatchewan considered separation, Roy Romanow reveals
- Car crashes through Oshawa family's living room, bursts into flames
- Naomi Lewis's 'my big Jewish nose' essay sparks controversy
- Stephen Harper concerned by Russia's growing military presence in Arctic
Vancouver mom says bus driver didn't seem to care
Date 7 hrs ago, Duration 2:00, Views 184
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 19 hrs ago 2:12
Tooltip Information:Hiker rescued days after fleeing bear in treeVideo by:Description: Julien Landry in stable condition in a Kelowna, B.C., hospital after concussion, injured and alone in the forest after a wild encounterRating: 3.12Views: 22279
Date 14-08-21 1:58
Tooltip Information:Dementia victim takes her life after right-to-die pleaVideo by:Description: Gillian Bennett, 84, feared becoming burden on her family after dementia diagnosisRating: 2.88Views: 37910