Eight cars of the passenger train derailed in the Bronx, near the Spuyten Duyvil station. Daniel Cohen/Twitter
The Fire Department of New York says there are "multiple injuries" in a Metro-North passenger train derailment, but the extent of the injuries is unclear.
The FDNY says the train derailment in the Bronx was reported at 7:20 a.m. Sunday near the Spuyten Duyvil station. Photos taken of the accident scene show eight cars derailed.
The fire department says 130 firefighters are on the scene.
Edwin Valero was in an apartment building above the accident scene when the train derailed. He says none of the cars went into the water where the Harlem River meets the Hudson, but at least one ended up a few feet from the edge.
He says he didn't realize the train had turned on its side until he saw a firefighter walking on the window.
- South African train collision injures at least 52
- Pictou County train derailment cause released
- Investigators probe train derailment west of Moose Jaw
- Train derails on White Pass & Yukon Route railway
- Crews clean up after CN train derails in U.S.
- Via train service still cancelled after CN train derails
- Some Via train service starts again after CN derailment
- Via trains cancelled after CN freight train derails in Brockville
- Train derails in remote area of Alberta
- Via train service cancelled for 2nd day after derailment
Nitin Srivastava reports from the barricaded town of Saharanpur where the situation remains tense.
Date 55 mins ago, Duration 1:38, Views 2
Date 19 hrs ago 0:30
Tooltip Information:Commonwealth weightlifting gold medallist tests positiveVideo by:Description: 16-year-old Nigerian weightlifter Chika Amalaha has tested positive for banned drugsRating: 3Views: 6814