Olympic flame handover preceded by anti-gay law protests
Gay rights activists take part in a gay pride event in Saint Petersburg this summer. Olga Maltseva/AFP/Getty Images
The Olympic flame has been handed to organizers of the Sochi Winter Olympics in a ceremony at the site of the first modern summer games.
The same actress, dressed as a high priestess, who lit the flame in Ancient Olympia last Sunday, lit a torch from a cauldron placed inside Athens' Panathinaiko Stadium. The flame, placed in a lantern, was handed over to Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak.
After a seven-day run through Greece, the flame will cover 65,000 kilometres on Russian soil. The record-setting relay will start on Monday in Moscow and will finish in Sochi on Feb. 7, the opening day of the games.
A few dozen activists staged a peaceful protest earlier Saturday against Russia's law banning gay propaganda.
- Scotland referendum: Voters say 'No' to independence from U.K.
- B.C. teachers' strike is over: 86% vote 'yes' to accept deal
- Escape from Los Cabos: Some Canadians return, some stuck in hurricane zone
- 'Angelina Jolie effect' on breast cancer screening endures
- Congress approves U.S. support for Syrian rebels fighting against ISIS
- Florida shooting claims 8 lives, including 6 children
- Serena Vermeersch, 17, killed in apparent random attack
- Justin Trudeau hits back at 'old men' over abortion stance criticism
- Home Depot admits 56 million cards hit by security breach
- Ailing Rob Ford thanks supporters, endorses brother's mayoral bid
Challenges have arisen with some data missing after Ottawa bus-train crash.
Date 8 hrs ago, Duration 4:48, Views 722
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.51Views: 51935
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 2.62Views: 33119