Olympic flame handover preceded by anti-gay law protests
Gay rights activists take part in a gay pride event in Saint Petersburg this summer. Olga Maltseva/AFP/Getty Images
The Olympic flame has been handed to organizers of the Sochi Winter Olympics in a ceremony at the site of the first modern summer games.
The same actress, dressed as a high priestess, who lit the flame in Ancient Olympia last Sunday, lit a torch from a cauldron placed inside Athens' Panathinaiko Stadium. The flame, placed in a lantern, was handed over to Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak.
After a seven-day run through Greece, the flame will cover 65,000 kilometres on Russian soil. The record-setting relay will start on Monday in Moscow and will finish in Sochi on Feb. 7, the opening day of the games.
A few dozen activists staged a peaceful protest earlier Saturday against Russia's law banning gay propaganda.
- Saskatchewan considered separation, Roy Romanow reveals
- U.S. condemns Russian aid convoy into Ukraine, threatens more sanctions
- ISIS 'betraying' Muslims, says Calgary imam before hunger strike
- Leonardo DiCaprio visits Alberta's oilsands
- Naomi Lewis's 'my big Jewish nose' essay sparks controversy
- Iraq conflict: At least 64 dead in Sunni mosque attack
- Guillaume Donovan, David Foucher charged with Thunder Bay sex assault
- Burlington Skyway crash: Driver to plead not guilty
- Peeing in the ocean: Is it OK?
- Mount Polley spill: Testing finds elevated selenium in fish
Protesters against the former cricket star and populist cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri gathered in Islamabad on Friday. Duration: 00:50
Date 8 mins ago, Duration 0:49, Views 0
Video by: AFP
Date 3 hrs ago 2:12
Tooltip Information:Hiker rescued days after fleeing bear in treeVideo by:Description: Julien Landry in stable condition in a Kelowna, B.C., hospital after concussion, injured and alone in the forest after a wild encounterRating: 4Views: 323
Date 22 hrs ago 1:58
Tooltip Information:Dementia victim takes her life after right-to-die pleaVideo by:Description: Gillian Bennett, 84, feared becoming burden on her family after dementia diagnosisRating: 2.63Views: 29489