Investigators, police and firefighters work at the scene following a fatal bus and train collision in Ottawa's west end, Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2013. Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press
Via Rail has cancelled some train service between Ottawa and Toronto for Thursday following Wednesday morning's deadly collision between a Toronto-bound train and a double-decker public transit bus.
Some trains will be replaced by bus service Thursday, the railway said in a brief statement.
- Train 41 will be replaced by bus service.
- Train 43 will be replaced by bus service.
- Train 44 will be replaced by bus service between Brockville and Ottawa.
- Train 45 will be replaced by bus service between Ottawa and Brockville.
- Train 50 will be replaced by bus service between Brockville and Ottawa.
- Train 51 will be replaced by bus service between Ottawa and Brockville. Passengers travelling from Montreal to destinations at or after Brockville should be transferred to train 53.
- Train 54 will be replaced by bus service between Brockville and Ottawa.
- Normal service will be provided between Montreal and Ottawa.
Six people, including the bus driver, were killed and more than 30 injured when Via Rail's Train 51 collided with the Route 76 OC Transpo bus, which was headed for downtown Ottawa.
OC Transpo is detouring its Route 94, 95, 70, 71, 73, 76, 77 and 173 buses to avoid the Transitway, the dedicated road for buses, while investigators are at the crash scene.
The northbound lanes of Woodroffe Avenue have reopened to traffic, while a single southbound lane remains closed between Fallowfield Road and Hunt Club Road.
- See a history of fatal road crashes in Canada
Families concerned for their loved ones should call 311 or 1-866-261-9799 for information.
Police said they will be notifying next of kin of the deceased in person.
Anyone who saw the collision but has not yet spoken to the police is asked to call investigators at 613-236-1222, ext. 2666.
Canadian Blood Services said it is supplying area hospitals with additional blood to treat victims.
It said it has received a number of calls from people looking to donate blood and is encouraging people to do so at a local blood clinic, but to call first at 1-888-2-DONATE.
Brooklyn Nets down Raptors 94-87 in the first playoff game north of the border since 2008
Date 54 mins ago, Duration 2:17, Views 0