Ottawa teen prostitution trial: 2 accused plead guilty
Two of the three girls accused of running a teenage prostitution ring in Ottawa have pleaded guilty to multiple charges.
A 16-year-old has pleaded guilty to assault, exploitation, recruiting for purposes of prostitution, assault and robbery, and child pornography.
She is headed to hospital for a psychiatric assessment and pre-sentencing report.
A second accused, now age 18, also entered a guilty plea to four charges including assault and exploitation shortly afterward.
The third accused, a 16-year-old girl often referred to in court as the "ring leader," has not changed her not guilty plea and remains on trial facing numerous charges including human trafficking.
All three were arrested in June 2012, and faced a total of 74 charges. None can be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
The pleas come in the midst of a lengthy trial which resumed today after an eight-day break.
The trial will resume Oct. 15.
- Alison Redford flights: opposition politicians want RCMP probe
- Andrew Leduc hit-and-run death: Civilian RCMP contractor cleared of wrongdoing
- Theodore Van Kirk, last Enola Gay crew member, dead at 93
- Azaria Marthyman, Ebola doctor, returns home to Victoria
- NATO's Canadian commander in Libya 'disappointed' with lack of progress
- Jake Gardiner signs 5-year, $20.25M deal with Leafs: reports
- Lord Nelson, wheelchair-accessible tall ship, sails into Halifax
- First Nations divided on new Financial Transparency Act
- Damian Warner wins Commonwealth Games decathlon
- Twitter stock up 30% as company doubles revenue
Marcus Stroman, Blue Jays mow down Red Sox.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:44, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 8 hrs ago 0:30
Tooltip Information:Commonwealth weightlifting gold medallist tests positiveVideo by:Description: 16-year-old Nigerian weightlifter Chika Amalaha has tested positive for banned drugsRating: 3Views: 4392
Date 2 hrs ago 0:43
Tooltip Information:Marie-Ève Beauchemin-Nadeau interviewVideo by:Description: Canadian talks about her gold medal performance in the women's 75-kilogram weightlifting division.Rating: 4Views: 0