Frances Barbe says a smaller tube-style TV fell off a bedroom dresser and on her grandson's head while he was reaching for something on Easter Sunday. CBC
A two-year-old boy is fighting for his life in an Ottawa hospital after a tube-style television fell off a small dresser and onto his head on Easter morning.
Ottawa paramedics responded to a home in the 1000 block of Rosenthal Avenue, which is in the city’s Carlington area, at about 8:36 a.m. ET.
They found a toddler who was in and out of consciousness after he suffered a head injury, paramedics said.
The injury was caused by a smaller tube-style TV, which also featured a DVD player, that fell off a three-drawer dresser in the boy’s bedroom, according to the boy’s grandmother.
Everyone else was asleep, grandma says
Frances Barbe said her grandson Jayce was trying to reach for something while everyone else in the house was asleep.
She said there were chocolate eggs hidden in the house, but she didn’t know if the boy was reaching for an egg when the TV fell.
“This is very upsetting. I can’t believe this has happened,” Barbe said. “We’re just hoping that Jayce is OK.”
The boy was stabilized by paramedics and taken to the trauma unit at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario with life threatening injuries, paramedics said.
Barbe said her grandson was crying and moving around at the hospital before undergoing a CT scan. The boy’s parents were at the hospital with him, Barbe added.
Police are not investigating, calling it a "tragic and unfortunate accident." Children's Aid Services is investigating.
Half-naked revellers pelted each other with tomatoes and bathed in red goo on Wednesday in Spain's Tomatina, a fiesta that draws thousands each year fo... More Half-naked revellers pelted each other with tomatoes and bathed in red goo on Wednesday in Spain's Tomatina, a fiesta that draws thousands each year for "the world's biggest food fight". Duration: 00:52
Date 3 mins ago, Duration 0:52, Views 0