Owner of collapsed Elliot Lake mall begins testimony at inquiry
The owner of the Algo Centre Mall begins several days of testimony today at the inquiry into the collapse of the Elliot Lake mall that killed two women last summer.
Robert Nazarian is expected to face questions about what he knew about the state of the mall and what he did about it.
The immigrant from Iran is expected to say the previous owners hid the fact the building was a lemon.
Nazarian's son, Levon, testified last week they plowed money into stop-gap repairs while they tried to sell the mall or raise cash for a proper fix.
However, he said the bank and city thwarted their best efforts to remedy the financially ruinous situation.
The public inquiry was established in July 2012 by the Ontario government and has been underway in Elliot Lake since March.
It was created to report on events surrounding the mall roof's collapse on June 23, 2012, the deaths of Lucie Aylwin and Doloris Perizzolo, the injuries to others, and the emergency management and response.
With files from The Canadian Press
- FashioNL visits the Avalon Mall
- Getting West Edmonton Mall ready for Christmas
- 'Make it snow money': Man tosses $1,000 into crowd at Mall of America
- South Africa mall collapse kills 1, injures 26
- South Africa mall collapses, reports of dozens trapped
- Mall coming to Summerside Holland College property
- Protect yourself when shopping
- Body-rub parlour appeals opening of Edmonton baby store
- Former mall Santa accused of sexual offences
- Body-rub parlour gives up fight against baby store
Changes coming to mail delivery in Canada is generating a lot of feedback in the city.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 5:52, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 16 hrs ago 3:34
Tooltip Information:Sign language interpreter a 'fake'?Video by:Description: Head of South Africa's deaf federation says 'no meaning' to hand gestures of man next to world leadersRating: 3.62Views: 18033
Date 13-12-10 0:30
Tooltip Information:Obama shakes Castro's handVideo by:Description: U.S. President Barack Obama shakes hands with Cuban President Raul Castro during the memorial service for Nelson MandelaRating: 3.48Views: 39784