Paralympics opening ceremony set to begin
The stage is set for the opening ceremony of the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games, which will get underway shortly in Sochi, Russia.
More than 580 athletes from 44 countries will compete in these 11th Winter Games, including 54 from Canada.
Canada will enter the stadium 19th during the parade of nations. Though in English its name falls towards the beginning of the alphabet, its Russian translation — Канада — places it closer to the middle.
Wheelchair curler and three-time Paralympian Sonja Gaudet will carry Canada's flag.
The ceremony will begin at 8 p.m. Sochi time, or 11 a.m. ET, and will be streamed live here and on cbc.ca/paralympics.
- Petitclerc cherishes role of chef de mission
- Chantal Petitclerc brings passion to Commonwealth Games
- Yukon's Jessica Frotten wins 3 silver at national track meet
- Benoit Huot seeks return of stolen Paralympic medals
- Commonwealth Games: Maple Leaf raised at athletes village
- Paralympian seeks return of stolen medals
- Canada kicks off Games with flag raising
- Alberta Summer Games wrap up, Calgary wins most medals
- Malaysia Airlines crash victims mourned at Commonwealth Games
- Russia to allow gambling in Sochi
Jim Reed asks whether passenger planes should fly over warzones after reports said the MH17 plane was 'downed by missile shrapnel'.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 4:26, Views 5
Date 8 hrs ago 0:41
Tooltip Information:The fastest Rubik's Cube solver you've ever seenVideo by:Description: Antoine Cantin is the world record holder for Rubik's Cube solving at 12.56 seconds.Rating: 2.5Views: 900
Date 14 hrs ago 5:04
Tooltip Information:Damian Warner shatters men's decathlon 100m recordVideo by:Description: The Canadian impresses with a record time in Glasgow.Rating: 3.66Views: 2766
Date 2 hrs ago 1:24
Tooltip Information:Canadian Sultana Frizell repeats as Commonwealth hammer throw champVideo by:Description: Breaks own games record with throw of 71.97 metres.Rating: 4Views: 50