Patrick Brazeau's repayments on hold during suspension
Senator Patrick Brazeau won't have to reimburse the Senate during his two-year suspension from the institution.
Brazeau owed the Senate $48,745 for filing inappropriate travel and housing claims.
He claimed he lived in Maniwaki, Que., about 140 kilometres north of Ottawa, and not in Gatineau.
Senators who live more than 100 kilometres outside the nation's capital are allowed to claim housing costs for a second residence in Ottawa.
Brazeau and fellow senators Pamela Wallin and Mike Duffy were suspended without pay last week for up to two years for alleged "gross negligence" in claiming inappropriate expenses.
The Senate ordered this summer that 20 per cent of Brazeau's salary be withheld at source to pay off the $48,745.
A Senate spokeswoman said in an email that the payments will resume once Brazeau's suspension is over.
- Firefighters injured battling Mississauga industrial warehouse blaze
- Ron MacLean in hotseat over comment about Quebec refs
- Calgary stabbing victim Lawrence Hong to be remembered
- Google Street View lets you go back in time
- Lisa Raitt to enhance rail safety measures in wake of Lac-Mégantic
- The Koch brothers: Who are they and why do Democrats hate them?
- Everest avalanche: How a Sherpa strike will affect Nepal's tourist industry
- Travel insurance and extreme sports: How Canadians can protect themselves
- 'Fairies' billboard backfires for St. John's opera company
- Netflix set to 'grow like crazy' despite price increase
Tampa Bay were swept out of the first round of playoffs by Montreal
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:58, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 1:08
Tooltip Information:Ron MacLean on Quebec refsVideo by:Description: Hockey Night In Canada commentator Ron MacLean found himself in hot water Tuesday night after comments about the impartiality of French-Canadian referees assigned to Montreal Canadiens playoff games.Rating: 4Views: 1004
Date 14-04-21 2:23
Tooltip Information:Waitresses lose jobs to foreign workersVideo by:Description: 2 servers say they were let go after working for years at a restaurant in SaskatchewanRating: 3.01Views: 41053
Date 2 hrs ago 1:56
Tooltip Information:Ron MacLean's apology on Quebec refsVideo by:Description: Hockey Night In Canada commentator tries to extricate himself from hot water after comments about the impartiality of French-Canadian referees assigned to Montreal Canadiens playoff gamesRating: 4Views: 0