Pope Francis greeted by millions of pilgrims
It was perfect beach weather Saturday on Copacabana in Rio de Janeiro, and the white sands were jammed full of people.
But instead of beach balls and bikinis, the nearly 2 million people who packed the beach had brought Bibles, rosaries and crucifixes.
They were pilgrims from all over the world who had come to greet Pope Francis on the next-to-last day of his weeklong visit to Rio and neighboring Sao Paulo state.
Francis had spent Saturday morning in Rio's ornate Municipal Theater, where he urged city leaders to remember society's least fortunate. While onstage, he also met with members of Brazil's indigenous tribes, who gave him a feathered headdress.
Throughout his trip, Francis has embraced the unexpected, wading into crowds and urging Catholics to shake up the church. His flock appeared to take that message to heart Saturday, all along the giant curve of Copacabana.
- Rob Ford apologizes again, Daniel Dale drops lawsuit
- Canada Post's Deepak Chopra says seniors want exercise from picking up mail
- Orlando the guide dog leaps onto NYC subway tracks to save owner
- Northern Gateway pipeline review to be released Thursday
- Crews hope to have Kingston crane down by Thursday night
- Ex-Bloc MP Maria Mourani says she is no longer a sovereigntist
- Sleep favoured over socializing, poll suggests
- Mark Zuckerberg, banks sued over Facebook IPO
- U.S. Federal Reserve tapers bond-buying to $75B US a month
- Rob Ford apologizes again, Daniel Dale accepts
Bobcats' last-second shot sinks Raptors in overtime.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:07, Views 1
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 3 hrs ago 2:38
Tooltip Information:Blood pressure treatmentVideo by:Description: An American panel of experts has issued new guidelines that would lead to fewer people taking high blood pressure medicationRating: 4Views: 6490
Date 4 hrs ago 1:09
Tooltip Information:Jaromir Jagr passes Steve Yzerman for 8th on all-time goals listVideo by:Description: New Jersey Devils forward scores the 693rd goal of his career.Rating: 4Views: 510
Date 13-12-17 9:07
Tooltip Information:Lottery winner shares the wealthVideo by:Description: Bob Erb has written more than 150 cheques in the month since he collected his $25-million lottery prize, Reg Sherren reportsRating: 4.05Views: 33375