Pope Francis greeted by millions of pilgrims
It was perfect beach weather Saturday on Copacabana in Rio de Janeiro, and the white sands were jammed full of people.
But instead of beach balls and bikinis, the nearly 2 million people who packed the beach had brought Bibles, rosaries and crucifixes.
They were pilgrims from all over the world who had come to greet Pope Francis on the next-to-last day of his weeklong visit to Rio and neighboring Sao Paulo state.
Francis had spent Saturday morning in Rio's ornate Municipal Theater, where he urged city leaders to remember society's least fortunate. While onstage, he also met with members of Brazil's indigenous tribes, who gave him a feathered headdress.
Throughout his trip, Francis has embraced the unexpected, wading into crowds and urging Catholics to shake up the church. His flock appeared to take that message to heart Saturday, all along the giant curve of Copacabana.
- Scotland independence results start coming in
- Escape from Los Cabos: Some Canadians return, some stuck in hurricane zone
- Congress approves U.S. support for Syrian rebels fighting against ISIS
- 'Angelina Jolie effect' on breast cancer screening endures
- Florida shooting claims 8 lives, including 6 children
- Serena Vermeersch, 17, killed in apparent random attack
- Justin Trudeau hits back at 'old men' over abortion stance criticism
- Home Depot admits 56 million cards hit by security breach
- Ailing Rob Ford thanks supporters, endorses brother's mayoral bid
- Cat escapes from burning, collapsing Manitoba hotel
Challenges have arisen with some data missing after Ottawa bus-train crash.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 4:48, Views 23
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.51Views: 45767
Date 3 hrs ago 1:29
Tooltip Information:WARNING graphic content: Cougar shot, killed in Calgary RAWVideo by:Description: An Alberta wildlife officer has shot and killed a cougar that was prowling around Calgaryâs South Health Campus this morning. The video was shot by eye witness Shannon Andersen.Rating: 1Views: 870
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 2.61Views: 30786