It could take a couple more days before power is fully restored to more than 200,000 customers in southwestern Quebec and southern Ontario after fierce storms tore through the area.
Friday's severe storms brought winds of 100 km/h an hour that caused widespread damage to power poles and some transformers. Both provinces were under tornado warnings and Environment Canada said Saturday it was investigating multiple sightings in Ontario, although none were confirmed.
In Quebec, several people were injured and a 21-year-old woman was killed by a falling tree branch.
- Quebec town mourns young woman killed in storm
- Photos: Storms rip through Ontario and Quebec
Most of the 130,000 thousand homes and businesses in Quebec that remain in the dark are in the area north of Montreal.
Some power crews were called back from their summer vacations to get service restored.
In Ontario, Hydro One says it has restored power to over 138,000 customers, with another 40,000 still waiting.
The worst-hit centre appears to be Bancroft, where 9,000 customers have been told it could be Tuesday before power is fully restored.
Toronto Hydro's Twitter page says only about 100 customers remain in the dark as of Sunday morning.
Also in Toronto, the storms destroyed a historic landmark, the silver maple tree said to have inspired the 1867 anthem The Maple Leaf Forever.
Other Ontario centres with sizeable power outages include Barrie, Alliston, Orillia, Penetang, Aylmer, Fenlon Falls, and Bowmanville.
With files from Canadian Press
Turkish riot police fired tear gas Tuesday at protesters massed outside a hospital after the death of a teenage boy wounded during anti-government prot... More Turkish riot police fired tear gas Tuesday at protesters massed outside a hospital after the death of a teenage boy wounded during anti-government protests last year and left comatose. Duration: 00:45
Date 43 mins ago, Duration 0:45, Views 0